1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Any One plowing by DEPTH?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Ole Tower, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

I have heard Guys refer to Plowing by DEPTH? just Wondering?? if Anyone has Done This? as Here locally I Don*t Know? of any One Plowing by Depth? as Here We usually Plow by the Storm I assume by Depth would work on Big Commerical Lots but Most of Mine are Private Homes! Thus my Asking? Ole Tower

2. MrBigStuff

MrBigStuff Senior Member
    from Boston

Depth trigger

Ask yourself this question: does it take me longer to plow a driveway with 12" of snow than it does for one with 3" of snow?

If not, then you shouldn't be charging any different for the service.

If it does, your time is worth money and you have to decide how much it's worth.

3. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

If you do driveways for say IE $45 USD...With a 2" triger..and you have 50 accounts for 1 truck...What are you going to do and charge if you get 5 feet of snow over night?
    With the way the weather patterns are these days you never can predict how much snow you will get...You have to put something in your contract that will cover this.wesport

4. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

Plowing By DEPTH?

most of my Plowing is Private homes & I have heard of Guys Plowing by Depth? say $25.00 for a 3 inch storm & I assumed?? $50.00 for a 6 inch storm? double the 3 inch snow fall? I have never done that--I charge the Same Price for a foot as most of mine are three push drives & when the Snows Real Deep! say a couple of feet? most of my customers PAY extra w/out my Asking! I guess? I*M one of the Lucky Ones? as all my customers live in the same Area so I only have to Drive from One drive way to another just Side by Side or Across the street! as I have the Entire Housing development which is 20 Private Homes! I got there Early One Morning as I had Plowed the Night before & the Wind had Driffted the Street BAD so I Plowed the Street & Did all the drives Again the Street was Real easy to DO as its usually Done by the Towns Plows which never showed Up until Late Afternoon & as I Billed my Customers most Gave ME a Few Extra Bucks more than Covering my Cost & Time of Doing the Street there fore? I Guess? Plowing depends On the Customers You Have? I assume? I have Good Ones! as I Do every Drive as though It were Mine! Nice & Clean & plowing by Depth would be correct for Commerical Lots as More depth would Mean a lot more Pushing so I can Realate to That! but I don*t think? it would Work? in my Case? unless it was a very Long Drive? Ole Tower