1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Any One Plow with Stock Tires?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by roadrnnr, May 3, 2007.

1. roadrnnr

roadrnnr Member

I just bought a 2007 2500 QC qith the 5.9 Cummins.

Came with an 8' Fisher Plow.

Going to use it for my drive and road this coming winter.

It has the 17" Michelin A/S Tires on it and am wondering if I can plow with these tires or I gotta go out and by something else for traction. I have the Anti Spin Rear end and I know about the ballast,(Not Sure what I am going to use yet, any suggestions) But I really need to know how these tires will work.

The road has a slight incline and both are Gravel/Stone.

I am also wondering what would be some good tires to get if I should change them. I would also probably take off the chrome wheels for the winter and mount tires on some black steel wheels if I could find some.

Thanks,

2. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

i have always had bad luck with stock tires they will work but it will be a royal PITA. there are a ton of different tires you can get for snow traction. to name a few bfg all terrain, pro comp all terrain, bridgestone dueler revos are all great tires

3. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

also for ballast i have had good luck with 50 pound bags of ice melt the only problem is by the end of the night i have used most of the bags lol.

4. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I plowed this year with my stock BFG Rough Terrains (I think).....They worked fine......but I will be up grading this fall. I have an 05 Ram QC with the CTD...

5. roadrnnr

roadrnnr Member

Wow the 05's came with BFG's.

My Michelin A/S 's look almost like summer tires.

What did you use for Ballast?

I was thinking of filling some buckets with cement so I can lift them in and out when not plowing

6. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I used my spreader and alot of ice melt.......

7. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

Any ONE Plow w/ Stock Tires?

YEH! I have an 88 Dodge 4x4 w/an 8ft Fisher w/ Summer Tires & also Plow w/ two Co 4X4s ones a New GMC one Ton Diesel & the other a 96 Ford 7.3 both have very Aggressive Rubber I plow the same places w/ All Three! & I Don*t See any Differance Really! in Referance to TRACTION! w/the Exception of My 88 Dodge w/Summer Tires I Don*t get that aggressive Tire NOISE! I Do Get driving the other Two! I assume? when Were Plowing the Tires are On Freshly Plowed Ground! so Why? BUY! exspensive Aggressive Tires? just a THOUGHT?? as My Summer Tires seem? to Work as GOOD as the Agressive ONES! --Ole JIM--

8. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

i use dunlap allteraine tires they do a good job.

Stock tires are not going to be great, but should do ok as long as slow down and air down the tires some.

9. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

i thought it was the other way around. you air up the tires. plow adds weight and makes em squat. and thinner tire the better......hmm

10. BlueRam2500

BlueRam2500 Senior Member

I plowed with BFG M/T's this winter and had no problems.