1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

any one plow with a half ton chevy

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by MO TOYS, Aug 26, 2006.

1. MO TOYS

MO TOYS Senior Member

i was wondering if anyone plows with a half ton chevy if so how much snow can they push before you have to half it. How do they perform in blizzard condittion. Why do the 3/4 ton get all the glory?

2. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

just do a search, i have a half ton, lots of others do as well, most dont have problems, i dunno youll get lots of mixed answers

3. Boondox

Boondox Senior Member

I plowed with my half ton for years using a Curtis 7.5 SnoPro. I installed Timbrens front and rear, used ballast in the bed to compensate for the weight up front, and dismounted the plow when not actually in use. Had no problems whatsoever.

This will be my first year with a 3/4 ton, but that was purchased for hauling heavy loads of hay. The 1/2 ton was fine for snow removal.

Pete

4. salopez

salopez Senior Member

pete when did you get the 3/4? and are you putting the curtis back on it?

5. Boondox

Boondox Senior Member

I got it three weeks ago and am amazed at how much more hay I can haul with that beast!

As for the Curtis, probably. I wish I could sell it and trade up to an 8 footer...maybe the dealer will take the 7 1/2 foot SnowPro in partial trade. I have been extremely happy with Curtis.

Pete

PS: Does a 2500HD with snowplow prep need Timbrens, or is the stock suspension beefy enough as is???

6. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

Girlfriends father has a 1/2ton reg cab. short bed with a 7'6" Boss standard duty on it. Truck is unbelievable in any amount of snow. The 2foot blizzard we had, the truck had no problem. With about 600lbs in the back, the thing is so short and nimble, it outperformed his 2500 with 8' Meyers! I ran it a few times for him last year and was amazed...the truck is more than capable.

7. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

3/4 ton gets the glory you ask? I think most contractors, state and Towns require a 8' blade minimum. That kind of puts 99% of the 1/2 ton trucks out of business. And some even require dual rear wheels.

If they don't have a minimum they pay less per hour for a smaller truck and blade.

8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

How many pounds in a ton?

9. a2t2p

a2t2p Junior Member

a ton is 2000 lbs

10. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

People who say they have had no problems plowing with a 1/2 ton.... are not being truthful.....Because, if they plowed for any length of time they would have problems.

Now lets take a look at 1000lb A 1/2ton.

Lets take the weight of the plow, 500lb to 600lb.
    The weight of an average plower 200lb.,
    The weight of your extra gear IE chains, shovels, salt ,snowblower, ballast, snow filling the box. how much does all this weigh?

Even if we go with 500lb for a plow and 200lb for a driver and nothing else in or on your truck, we are at 800lb, 200lbs short of a 1/2 ton.

1/2 ton owners say, hey! my truck has the same stuff on it a 3/4 or 1ton does,
    I can haul a ton or more in my 1/2 ton.:dizzy:

Can it be done, YES of coarse. but why not get the right truck for the job?
    The truck is a tool that you and your business is counting on so, why scrimp?

After listening to all of you 1/2 ton owners, I have a question?
    Why do they even make 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks, if a 1/2 ton can do the same job?

But, if all you are really going to plow is your own drive then it will be fine. no proublems!
    Look around the site, you will find people plowing with jeeps, wheelers, golf carts, etc etc,
    but none of them, who do this for a living or any amount of time will tell you their are PROUBLEMS!! Even with 3/4, 1 tons and larger trucks too. JMO, :waving:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2006
  11. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Snofarmer is mostly correct. I just switches from a 1/2 ton to a 3/4 ton (never plowed with a 3/4 ton). I would never think of commercially plowing with a 1/2 ton or for any long periods of time. I used mine on my long driveway and a couple of driveways here and there. The truck was a tank. Nothing stopped it. BUT, I only plowed with it for this past winter. Who knows how long it would lasted without any problems. While we are on the subject, I have put close to a ton in the back of a Ranger just driving around my property. Did it hold it? Yes, but of course it wasn't smart. You need to know the limits and more importantly the safety of the truck you are using. Going from a 1/2 ton to a 3/4 is a major difference. I know see why everyone loves them so much. If you are gentle and careful with a 1/2 ton you will be fine doing some driveways, but once you go 3/4 you will never go back. The difference is night and day. To each's own I guess. JMO as well!

12. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I can speak for my self and my experience only..

Each truck had 100k+ when I got rid of them. No problems at all. No Engine, No Transmission, No suspension issues ever..

94 2 door Yukon 5.7
    99 Sierra 5.3
    Both had the same 7.5' Fisher MMI plow

Both had a average of 15+ driveways per storm.

13. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

A 1/2 ton truck means the payload is 1/2 ton per axle or it will carry 2,000lbs. I don't have any 1/2 tons or even 3/4 ton trucks. I have 5 3500 series and 1 W5500. A friend of mine has a 99 Tahoe that has a 8'6" Arctic plow. It has plowed for 7 HARD years and I can't believe it is still going, it only plows commercial. For people that want to dabble in the business then by all means a 1/2 ton MIGHT work but if you are in it for the long haul the at least a 3/4 ton and DIESEL.payup

14. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

cet "A 1/2 ton truck means the payload is 1/2 ton per axle or it will carry 2,000lbs. "

I hope that was sarcasm?lol .

So a 1/2ton can carry a1/2 ton on the front axel and 1/2 ton on the rear axel?.
    so a 3/4 ton can carry 1 1/2 tons, and a 1 ton can carry 2 tons????

It does not matter where you put the weight on a 1/2 ton it's only rated to carry a 1/2 ton load. ( I would not put 1K on the front of a 1/2 ton:dizzy:) ,
    Not a combined weight of 1/2 ton front and a 1/2 ton in the box for total of a ton.

15. Up North

Up North Senior Member

blah,blah,blah...c'mon now Farmer, you know 1/2 tons rule. I've proved it to you how many times??wesport

Buck

16. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Buck,I know your right......sorry:cry:

I gust wonder why they even offer 3/4 and 1 tons any more?
    I mean if a 1/2 ton is basically the same thing right?
    The body's all look the same except for the bagging.. lol :waving:

17. MO TOYS

MO TOYS Senior Member

ok well i can see everyones point about a 3/4 ton pickup
    however my current situation is i have a 2006 truck i just purched 3 months ago for my landscaping buisness. It just happent to be a half ton pickup because i was did not know any better. now that be what it is, with what i plan on doing with the truck i really can not justify an extra 10k for a 3/4 ton pick up, even if i was dead set on buying a 3/4 ton i would loose so much moeny if i were to trade it in that i would be better off buying a new motor and trans as a spare. At the time i could not afford to purchace anything bigger than what i have especially after i just dropped 20 k on all my equipment. I am only 21 years old and did not have a lot of moeny saved to buy the biggest badest of everything. So with the situation being i DID purchase a plow, I WILL be using it on my residential driveways and there is not enough reason for me to going and buy a big 3/4 ton, I just cant justify loosing that much moeny when i can squeak by with what i have i only have 7000 miles on the truck so i expect to be out of it way before any sighns start to show up that are the result of plowing. I started this thread to see if some 1/2 ton owners could offer any more advice than what i know. Now if a jeep can plow snow my half ton will work fine for me especially where im from, I already am aware that walmart parking lots are out of the question.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2006
  18. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Last edited: Sep 2, 2006
  19. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Hey Mo, don't let these guys get you all riled up. Like I mentioned to you in another thread I plow with a 1/2 ton, in fact always have, and haven't had any problems. Basicly it comes down to matching the right equipment & situations with the truck you have, and I think you've done that with your choice of plow. As for the situations, I doubt anyone would want to take on a Wal Mart parking lot with a single 1/2 ton. And IMO you can have problems with a 1/2, 3/4 or 1 ton equally. Just use common sense, don't hang a 9' on a 1/2 ton, and don't put a 7'6 on a 3/4 ton. Plowing is just plain tough on trucks period, no way of getting around it. Some trucks will have more problems then others no matter what size or brand it is.

So either don't worry about or since this is probably your 3rd different thread on this topic, go out and trade it off for a 3/4 ton and then you can worry about something else for awhile...:dizzy: :D

Buck

20. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

chet , what is the front GAWR?

This includes the weight of the truck and plow resting on it.
    My 2500 Dodge has a front GAWR of 4850# and a rear GAWR of 6084# for a combined GVW of 8800#