1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

any one help me PSD

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by RSK, Mar 25, 2006.

1. RSK

RSK Senior Member

Hi guys

Here is my ??? I am looking at a 1997 ford f350 PSD 7.3 dump.
    it is a nice truck but it needs new injecters can you just fix the one that
    is bad or do you have to put all new 8 in the truck?the
    truck has 102.563 mils on it they went $ 16,996 but it needs work
    what would you pay for this truck 4x4 plow mount no plow. has the pto for the dump rat pack to any info thanks :help:

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

That price sounds real high for a truck almost 9 years old. You have to fix it too. How did they find out it needs an injector?

3. RSK

RSK Senior Member

i went and locked at it and the guy said it needs a new injectors because
    you have to let it run for 20m before you can drive it but i know most psd when it is cold out you have to let them run. so i don't know if this guy knows anything about psd. that is all he said about it

4. MickiRig1

Sounds like a sensor / computer problem etc. An injector would cause it to stumble and hesitate all the time while driving, I would think. If you really want to buy it, take it to a place that can scan the engine from startup to operating temp.
    Buy some truck trader magazine's, I still think the price is way HIGH.
    Plus, it's been a plow truck so it's had a tough life as it is.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2006
  5. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

if a seal went bad in an injector it could cause it to smoke bad until the engine heated up. when the injector heats up it seals up tighter so it woulnt leak.
    if you were going to the trouble to replace an injector you might want to have them all replaced. its alot of work to get to them.

6. zapster

zapster Member

why would it need injectors when after 20 min?:dizzy:

there is a sensor in the transmisson that tells the engine when the tranny is warm enough to "function"

when its cold out and the truck is cold
    you can get it started but you just cant drive away
    sometimes it wont move 'till the tranny has some heat in it..no power no nothing for a while..tranny heat in the cold is actually your friend...:D
    i have a '99 350 7.3
    and when its warm out....:waving:

...zap!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2006
  7. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Seems like a real high price. If the injector needs replacing so do probably a few other things like valve cover harness, injector orings, glow plugs, gpr relay. Second the opinion on taking it to a mechanic of dealer that can scan the truck. Get a seasoned mech to check it out. someone who knows the power stroke well. In good working order, even though it has low miles, I would think the truck would be worth 12-13k.

8. SLSNursery

SLSNursery PlowSite.com Veteran

I just sold a 97 4x4 with a 9' Fisher for about 10k in October. It had just over 100,000 miles and was in good running condition with all the body work done. In other words, a clean truck, new seat, etc. It had a 9' platform dump with 4' racks. That was about as much as I could get for it, even though I had some tire kickers for 13,000. I priced it to go, not to show. The truck you are looking at is way overpriced.

A customer of mine bought the 97, and today I loaded him with soil, so I assume it is all in working condition. That truck was on its 3rd Transmission, and was going to need injector work or something in that area to stop a slight fuel leak, but it never needed to warm up before it could be driven, and it worked hard every day (except before I sold it, I just used it like a pickup). This leak appeared to be coming from under the valve cover, but it was diesel that blew by injector seals and leaked out, similar to what 04Superduty mentioned. There is another cover under the valve cover, but on top of the rockers where the fuel collects and then leaks down the back of the engine, especially after the truck cooled down. I didn't want to pursue the repair so I sold the truck while it was still running OK. The cost of the injectors was ridiculous, so we just bought a new truck. I think at about 100,000 miles the rear main seal starts to seep a little bit too. Find another truck!!! There are plenty out there.

I'm curious to know what you'd offer for my 99 Extended cab with the plow and platform dump, less than 100,000 miles.

9. pools&plowingct

pools&plowingct Member

soemthing doesn't sound right my 96 stroker i let it idle maybe a minute and jump in it and drive away easily and i don't have a problem. as for the injectors u can rebuilt injectors for 675and puttin them in there not that hard i jsut did mine 2 weeks ago nothin difficult about it. i would say its more stressful than hard. i would say check out the fuel filter and see if there is oil in the filter. thedieselstop.com would be able to help u out better

10. RSK

RSK Senior Member

HI guys here is a website that the truck is on page 5 www.heckmanauto.com
    red ford f350 let me know about the truck thanks for the help how much
    would you pay for it

11. SLSNursery

SLSNursery PlowSite.com Veteran

You are thinking way too much about this truck

I think the consensus between here and lawnsite is that you are looking at a truck that needs too much work for the price they are asking. You can find a similar truck, in the same condition (needs work), without a plow for $10,000 or less. If you have $20,000 to spend, go look for a better truck. You could probably get something in the 2000-2001 range for close to that with no real headaches, and maybe even with a plow. How about the cab and chassis 2001s that same dealer has? Put a body and toolboxes on for $7500-$8000. Good Luck

12. MickiRig1

If you have the cash or the credit to spend that much on a truck start buying truck trader. There are a bunch of trucks in there every week.
    Truck trader gives you a good idea of what a truck is worth retail wise.
    If you really want to buy the truck have it gone over by a shop that can scan the computer and knows diesels.
    Be wary of the smaller car lots they would rip off/ lie to their brother to make a buck!