1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

any one having electrical issues? not radio shutting off ones

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by allagashpm, Mar 12, 2015.

1. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

Hey wondering if anyone else with a 11 and up superduty has any problems specifically with lighting? For one thing I blow bulbs like crazy. Cab lights i lose one every month or two. Brake light on cab went. Blinker went. Blinker bulb in mirror went. Dome light in cab. Now I took my plow off the other day and found out my headlights don't work. Dealer says it is related to plow and they cant fix it.
    Just wondering if this is normal or if you think something else might be going on. Also had a new 850 cca battery fall of 13, fall of 14 it was testing low so they replaced it.

Blew the passenger side hub too, which is getting fixed under warranty. I know it is minor stuff but I am starting to go crazy

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Check voltage, maybe regulator is letting voltage spike too high?

3. eastern

eastern Junior Member

voltage regulator is in the alternator, had to replace mine. Had high voltage (17-18) but never had bulbs blow. I was able to read the voltage thru the dash daq that came with my tuner. From what I read on various forums they are having all kinds of electrical problems.

4. wadadlianu

wadadlianu Junior Member
    from NH

Check your body grounds. There may be corrosion building up, causing voltage spikes

5. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I have a cab clearance light out on the 250. But nothing else so far.

6. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

No problems with 2011 6.7 F250 that I had or 2015 6.2 F350

7. Snow Commandor

Snow Commandor Senior Member
    from 07666

I have the plow lights not switching on with my 3 plug western/fisher set-up. think its the truck side light harness thats faulty.

8. thelettuceman

I have the same set up. No problems. Check wiring harness in line fuses before replacing light bulbs.

9. Snow Commandor

from 07666

I know its not the bulbs. it started as an intermittent problem with the harness. now the plow light won't switch on @ all. I figure I need the truck side repair harness or possibly the entire truck side harness that plugs into the isolation module. have to do some digging to find where in the harness the short is.

10. thelettuceman

Good luck with your repair. Please post your "fix" to help the rest of us if we have that problem.

11. Snow Commandor

from 07666

Will do! I'm always advising others on how to handle their repairs.

12. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

Thanks for the feedback. I will check it out. At plow dealer now to check out the no headlights issue. I think (hope) it is just a relay but I have a lot to learn with electric stuff.

13. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

Ended up being the headlight adapter, so it was related to the plow. Dealer said sometimes they just fail, but in looking in the engine bay the original installer just had them kind of laying on the wheel well. I have a lot of road spray up there that I hadn't noticed, which probably contributed to it failing. 104 bucks for the new adapter and labor. I will see what the dealer says about the alternator and voltage regulator.
    The plow dealer also said he was seeing a lot of electrical problems with the 11+ super dutys. Thanks again for the responses