1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Any one have?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by SnowGodFather, Nov 26, 2001.

1. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

Has any one used or have one of these.

Click Here

I am looking at one like this, a Stainless Steal one. Also it has hydralics to replace chains.
  2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I have a friend with one,its about 3 yrs old,only has a litle 5 hp on it.He loves it,has had zero trouble with it,and he doesnt really believe in PM,he waits til it breaks for the most part,his is not stainless though.
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

SnowGodFather - Looks like a good spreader. Haven't heard much about them good or bad, but Curtis is supposed to be a pretty good company. One problem that I see is the 5hp Briggs. Get the upgrade - any upgrade. 5hp is seriously underpowered, IMO. Also, when I was looking into spreaders last Summer, I looked at one with a Briggs and Stratton. It came with instructions about what to do when it wouldn't start. I think it involved cleaning out the gas line. And it was an 8.5 hp for the same sized unit you're looking at - 1.7 cu yd. I wound up with an 11hp Honda.
  4. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Or just get an electric model and skip all the gas engine related problems all together.

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

A relative of mine has one and he also has the 5hp. model and has'nt had a single problem, but he is a PM nut so his stuff lasts a while. He did mention that if your spreading (dry) straight salt the 5hp engine is fine but if you spread sand that might have tendency to "rock up" as he put it, you might have some trouble.
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2001
  6. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

5hp should be big enough for a Curtis, as the engine runs a hydraulic pump, which in turn provides fluid to power the hydro drive spinner and conveyor.

Only doubts I would have, is that Landscaper Supply and Lesco seem to be the main dealers around here :(
  7. landscaper3

landscaper3 Senior Member

We have two 2yrd sanders one 10.5 hp Fisher and a 8hp Air flow and dont really like either! I think we are going to keep one of them then go with a hydro 3yrd or electric those damn little moters flood out so easy. Im with plowking on electric!
  8. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

No upgrade, and I'm not to fond of B&S but they are not the best I guess it will have to do.

5hp runs a hyrdo drive, when you get down to the power at the motors the dealer says its like 9hp.

There is a dealer around here besides Lesco that wants to get some of these on the road, so I have a special price that is making it hard for me not to get one.

SS for the price of reg painted steal.

I was looking for your opinions and I guess it seems I will take him up on his offer.

BTW he stocks all parts for it too. And also sells bulk and bagged salt and ice melt. He out sells Lesco by 10-1 here. So every thing is prety fresh.

Thanks guys and gals.
  9. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

Landscape supply sells the painted steel for 2999, the stainless for 3999.
  10. G.Williams

G.Williams Member

We have swenson and meyers. Both models work well for us. one is 8hp and othe r is 10.5. We do alot of PM on them.
  11. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

The swenson and meyers are the same unit. Swenson makes the spreaders for meyers.