1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Any one got dual batteries in there F250?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Clapper&Company, Nov 8, 2008.

1. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

I got a 2001 F250, Im thinking about putting dual batteries in this truck.

Dose any one have pics of theres?

2. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I would just go look at a Diesel and buy the factory stuff from one of those from a junk yard... we did the same thing on a Chevy a few years back and it worked perfectly!

3. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

Not a bad Idea.

4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

i will have pics in a minute

5. cretebaby

does this help

P1000104.jpg

P1000103.jpg

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Crete what yr is that Ford?

7. cretebaby

why its a 99 Grandview

8. snowandgo

snowandgo Senior Member

I'm not sure the "diesel parts" think will work. The diesel battery box is built in with the air intake, which is different than the gassers. You might be able to use it, but would have to cut the box apart.

If I recall, doesn't the gas system have the EVAP control filter in that spot?

9. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

I think you may be right..

Crete, thanks im going to check mine today to see if mine will fit there

10. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

Wht not run 2 Optimas in the factory location. A lot of the diesel guys do that.

dual optimas.jpg

dual optimas 2.jpg

11. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

good idea there too.

Thanks

12. I haven't had any issues with my single battery in my F250 in the past few years of plowing but I've wondered about adding one just in case. When putting dual batteries in your trucks, are they wired in parallel or are they connected via a switch (manual or voltage sensing)?

13. cretebaby

parallel :nod:

14. PlowGood

PlowGood Member

Is that using the original factory single battery tray? What size/model Optima battery are you using there?

If not what tray is it, and where did you get it?

BTW, what year and model etc is the truck?

15. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

When you have 2 batteries, do they have to be connected to one another? Can you have the original battery as is and the second battery (connected to alternator & ground) wired to plow/lights/salters/extra stuff?

16. snowandgo

snowandgo Senior Member

They should be connected by at least a 4 guage wire.

When one of the batteries draws a heavy load (like the plow or the starter) the other will try to compensate. In your example, that would be through the alternator wire, which could be too small, overheat and melt.

This is unless you had one set up as an auxillary battery through an isolator. Then the second would not compensate. If the second battery can't compensate, there's no reason to have two. Those setups are for RV's and things where you have a load when the alternator isn't charging and you don't want to drain your start battery.

17. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

now i have 2 optimas in my diesel but i wonder if i can get 3 or even 4 of them in there....man...4 yellow tops and you'd be set for anything...

18. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

How would you wire up 2 batteries in the same location? Like 2 optimas. I just bought 1 and it doesnt have near the power i was hoping. Its a v10 btw

19. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

From what I have read on P.S. you should have 2 of basically the same age. If you are going to buy one, buy 2 and then the new one won't have to do all the work.

20. breadoflife

breadoflife Member

A quick correction would be 2 gauge, but 0 or 00 guage is better. on diesels the factory wiring for the positive cable is a two gauge.