1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Any one get SERIOUS snow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by POWERSTROKEFURY, Nov 10, 2004.

1. POWERSTROKEFURY

POWERSTROKEFURY Junior Member

And I don't just mean 1' and the whole state goes into a "State of Emergency" (Massachusetts :nod: ) I'm talkin' more along the lines of 2' and 3' a storm. I live in Maine, only 45min. from the Canadian border, and about an hour from the ocean. Last year was a record 4 1/2' the FIRST storm of the year. Just wondering why people from NJ and Mass. etc. are so concerned about what kind of plow will last the longest. Where you get serious snow, you want a plow that will get you out of the drive way, never mind lasting the longest! :gunsfiring:

2. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Rangeley, ME you get plenty of snow there :nod:
    I did not know MA goes into a state of emergency when it snows, and i live in MA. What are you saying people here from MA and NJ and other states of the deep south don't belong here, and we can't talk about snow? The only place in MA that does not get much snow is like from cohassett down to cape cod, and the south coast (fall river, new bedford). I have seen PLENTY of snow in my short lifetime (17 years), made huge snow forts that lasted from november to april when i was in first grade and the same when i was in third grade. Those years we probley experienced an average winter in Rangeley, ME. I have plowed snow up to 35" deep. I have seen my fair share of snowbanks stacked against my windowsills, and snowbanks in my driveway twice as tall as my truck. Yes we need our plows to last here in the flatland too, just like you. If it snows, you need a good plow that will last, are you implying that we should not buy good equipment, just whatever POS works? I also do alot of plowing in colebrook, NH at my familys house and if you know where colebrook is, we get just as much if not more then rangeley, maine there.

So to answer your question, "yes" i get serious snow here in massachusetts, and i say serious knowing that plenty of people get more then me. No massachusetts does not go into a state of emergency when it snows, the media makes it look that way though. Its not north carolina, the western mountains get as much as maine also.

This pic is what i like to refer to as a "dusting", it was taken in febuary of last winter at my house in Massachusetts, and let me tell you, i was in a complete panic :rolleyes:

33.jpg

3. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Another dusting from christmas of last year, those banks were three times that height at the beginning of december after we got almost 3' :nod:

67.jpg

4. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

That's it Chris, don't let Rangely push us around! :)
    These guys from Maine love to bust our --lls about stuff like that. I got an earful a few years ago in the barrooms in Belfast when I was up there hunting. Actually, they were really nice people and they treated us well. Although the locals won't give you a hint about where the damned deer are! Up there, that info is more closely guarded than the US border, especially from us "mass-holes".
    In terms of being shut down by an inch, I actually witnessed that when I was in US Army basic at Fort McClellan, Alabama in the winter of '84. Talk about people freaking out. Literally, 1 lousy inch of powder and the entire region was crippled. Makes us Mass guys look downright competant! :drinkup:

5. lakeeffect

lakeeffect Senior Member

Don't really know the point you are trying to make, but if you want serious snow come here. The snowbelt of New York gets more snow than probably anywhere in the country and we know how to handle it. DOT workers from all over come here every winter for "snowfighters "school . Some other members on this board can attest to the fact that there is nothing like a good old lake effect storm 4-5 inches an hour is a common occourance. When you can see the plow hanging off the nose of your truck its time to go to plan B.

2002 Montague.jpg

6. PetalsandPines

PetalsandPines Senior Member

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I was waiting for that one. Didn't figure you'd let it go by. :waving:

8. POWERSTROKEFURY

POWERSTROKEFURY Junior Member

Wasn't trying to bust anyone's --lls guys, I figured I just wanted to see where everyone else was where they get snow like me. If I offended anyone than I'm sorry, I just wanted to see what everyone else was peaking. Don't worry, I'm a Mass-Hole myself, born in Newton-Welsley and raised in Newton. I'm a flat lander myself, so I wasn't trying to "put down" anyone. But the pics were sweet, I have some where you can't see my John Deer 460 Back Hoe I'll get on here. Any one got some pics of a truck REALLY stuck?

9. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Last edited: Nov 10, 2004
  10. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Powerstroke:

None taken, this is all in good fun! :drinkup:
    Like I said, when I was up in Belfast, they treated us good. They just won't tell you where the deer are :(
    I suppose you have to expect that when you're fishing in someone else's pond.

11. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

March of 2002... anywheres from 6-11 FEET.... Yes I said Feet in 3days

Howard ... got to dig up the pics