1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Any one ever go out of state for plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CommercialCuts, Oct 4, 2001.

1. CommercialCuts

CommercialCuts Junior Member

Anyone ever chase the snow, what i mean is go to different states when it is snowing there. If so how did you get your contacts for those areas, i have seen some ads for out of state drivers to come in and help these contractors in these states. Just wondered if it is profitable enough to try it.

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I have heard of people doing it. If you have a contractor lined up yo sub for then it may work. If you are just freelancing I doubt you would have much success. More expenses come to mind, increase fuel, lodging anf food etc.

3. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

I have heard of guys doing that, but only when there is a massive snowfall. When people get 18" of snow, they are willing to pay even if they usually shovel it themselves.

I have heard of stories of guys making enough to pay off their trucks. Whether it's true or just stories I don't know.

I have been thinking about that myself. If we aren't expecting any snow where I live, and 200 miles away they are just buried in snow. I may try it.

Dave

4. soilmover

soilmover Member

We have gotten calls from people out of town during large snow falls.Last year maybe 2 or 3 calls from out of town, people a few hundred miles away, looking for sub work.We didn't use them, but i got a good laugh.

I'm in NJ , we had large snow falls (1996). We went to NY city. It is a different state, but it is only over the Hudson River. I will go to NYC any day or night. NYC rates are white gold.:D

5. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

We hire lots of people like that in our immediate local market. Works out well for all.

6. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

I live in northwest Indiana and frequently get called into south Chicago or the burbs. Before I go into a burb I have never been to I always call the town hall and ask if a license is needed. Sometimes I will have to provide a cert. of insurance to the town. I only do that when I have big jobs and earlier in the season when people can still see my out-of-state and under weighted license plate.

Plow Meister
    1995 F250 7.3L Power Stroke 9 1/2' Western Pro