1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Any one Buy Accounts?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Clapper&Company, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Has any one ever Bought snow accounts?

Just wanted to see what every ones input is and how they have done it.

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I tried to once. Offered the guy 25% of the full take from the first year. He didn't bite. Gave me the whole route the following year.

3. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I attempted to last year. I couldn't come to an agreement with the person because he wanted to sell all of his equipment along with the business. Granted he had A LOT of stuff but none of it was for commercial use. He primarily used 1/2 ton trucks with 7.5' blades. It just wasn't the right deal for me.

4. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hi Ron
    I have never bought snow accounts but I did buy some lawn accounts two years ago. That's how I got started in the green end, but if you do make sure you have the seller sign a non competing clause in the contract for 2 years. Do not take his word that he will not come back and try to steal your customers back. Remember he most likely still has copies of his past contracts and knows how much each one is, he can show back up next year and under bid you. Some of the customers will not talk to him but some are always willing to listen for less money.

Regards Mike

5. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Right, I know about that, how did u base ur price on for the accoutns were worth

6. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hi Ron
    To a certain degree, its was also based on how much you wanted these accounts. The ones I bought were close to my route and they were for the most part high end residentals in a area that is very hard to get your foot in the door. They paid for themselves in two months time. So part of it is it near your route and also how soon will you recover your money? The other thing you have to be carefull of will all of the customers stay on with the new company, hard to have a answer for that but for me they did all stay.

Regards Mike

7. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

I think a good way to go about it is an initial down payment, then an agreed upon percentage of sales for the following season. This way you don't get screwed if it doesn't snow.

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Or if they switch to someone else.

9. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

Exactly. Got to cover your a$$