1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Any of you just fall into plowing? + new guy here with pics :)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by dudeonpc, Dec 15, 2010.

1. dudeonpc

dudeonpc Junior Member

Howdy all.

New to the site and introducing myself, plus doing a little picture show off. How many of you have just fell into snow plowing?

Long story short: Friend has a few plow trucks and subs from a major snow removal company. I drove the spare truck as an on call driver when demand was more than they could handle over the past couple years. I bought a truck for the purpose of pulling a family fithwheel camper and a toy a few weeks ago. He and I were chating over a few cold ones and he made the statement, “that would make a nice plow truck”. Well, within 72 hours I was on the install schedule for a new install (see pics below). Paid cash for everything so no payments to deal with other than commercial insurance.

I searched high and low online but found a better deal at a local dealer that beat the price (plus shipping) installed with a two year warranty. I thought to myself this is a no-brainier decision and pulled the trigger. I wanted a V-plow but once was educated about axle weights and whatnot, I followed their guidance and decided on a Buyers Snowdogg HD75. They would sell me a V-plow (not installed) but I would have to install it, plus have the warranty issues of a self install blah blah blah....

I am very happy with the purchase and only time will tell on the integrity of the plow, but I think it'll do just fine. It will no doubt have some issues as anything mechanical can and will. I worry more about me damaging it than it failing, again time will tell.

I have followed the forum for a couple weeks and I can let some of you at ease “I am not a lowballer”, I will be doing sub work only for a highly reputable firm. Should for any reason that fail and I go at it on my own I will be one of the most expensive around. That should weed out less desirable/price shopping/pita clients. I do not have to make a living at this but as with anyone a nice ancillary income can always help with those family vacations in the summer.

I also picked up a Show-me LED mini light-bar for what I thought was a pretty fair price. Now all I have to do is round up some tools/spare gr8 bolts/hyd lines/first-aid/emergency supplies should for some reason get stranded (blankets food water etc). What am I forgetting other than a mobile phone which I carry anyways?

Good to meet all of you and look forward to much learning and conversation from the pro's here.

Dude.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  2. chris.outdoor

chris.outdoor Member
    from NH

Welcome! looks like you have alot of your bases covered Thumbs Up.
    I was handed down a couple of my dads accounts at 16 and i have built up from there. never expected to plow but here i am..... WAITING FOR SNOW! lol

3. dudeonpc

dudeonpc Junior Member

Right on. Sitting here waiting as well but sadly we're only expected 1-3" at best...oh well.
    Nice to meet you Chris.

4. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

welcome dude

5. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

I started lawncare about 5 years ago and didnt do any plowing. My dad runs a for dealer and had a plow that was on a truck they wanted to get rid of and gave it to me. That was 7,5 myers plow a year later I bought a 9-2 V. I am sure I would have eventually got into it but not that soon,
    Welcome and hope you have a good season. I know I am already getting burnt out. Been plowing/skid work for about 70 hrs since saturday am and they are talking more for tonight.

6. dudeonpc

dudeonpc Junior Member

Thank you swtiih.

qualitycut, I have seen on the news where your area is getting hammered. Good luck keeping up with the storms there.

7. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

Very nice!! Depending on what you plow (I'm assuming parking lots) you may want to consider wings IMO just so you can plow a little more in a pass...

8. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome and good luck!!!

9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

welcome and have a good year
    search is your friend

10. dudeonpc

dudeonpc Junior Member

Hi GMCHD. You nailed it on the head, parking lots and some small/med private properties. It's all push, the people they/we sub from handles all the salting. I like your input on the wings and the thought has crossed my mind. But, the $650 price tag for the buyers wings leaves me a little choked up. Time will tell and I think you for your feedback.
    Dude.

11. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

Not a bad set-up. Good luck this winter

12. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I fell bass ackwards into plowing.

I was working for an excavating company out of Texas when I moved back to Colorado. They sent me up here with a dump truck and a backhoe.

I lived in a town home and my shop was about a mile away. One night, we had a good storm and got about a foot of snow. The company that did the snow removal usually showed up about 12 hours late.

I got fed up and called the HOA president and told them that I had a backhoe and would clear the snow. They asked for a bid and apparently liked my numbers.

I started pushing snow that night. That was the start of it all.

The company in Texas went belly up shortly thereafter and I took over the accounts personally.

Starting my sixth season now and have grown leaps and bounds.

13. dudeonpc

dudeonpc Junior Member

Macman: Thanks for the positive feedback and nice to meet you.

cold&tired: Awesome story man. That is exactly the kind of story I was looking to hear. Who knows where everything in life leads us. I've even in the past had major positive outcomes from the worst of situations. Good stuff!

14. nick_snonomo

nick_snonomo Junior Member

Hey guys, new to the site as well. I guess I can't say that I plow commercially, but I never gave it a thought until I bought a house out in the country in Southern MN. Had to move snow somehow, and got a steal of a deal on a F-250 with a Western straight blade on it. I started to really enjoy seeing we more snow in the forecast and now open up my driveway (1/4 mile long) the neighbors, and a few rural properties. Like I said, two years ago I would have never thought I'd enjoy plowing snow and I'm constantly thinking on doing this commercially during the winter (I work road construction during the summer and let's just say have some spare time on my hands during the winter!)

Love reading these forums and enjoy reading others stories and advice. Looks like we're in for a snow/ice/rain storm this weekend...and looking forward to it!

Nice to meet you all!

15. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Welcome to Plow site. Pictures, Pictures, We love Pictures.

Very nice rig you have. Also, you may have some extra plow fluid, and some Washer Solvent.

16. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Wlcome to Plowsite Nick

Just make sure you have enough room to push the snow way out of the way to make room for the next snow fall. Good Luck.