1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Any of you guys pushing in Tow/Haul Mode?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Bad Luck, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Anyone, anyone....?? :confused:

2. Up North

Up North Senior Member

That's a good question Bad Luck. My plan was to plow in 2nd or 3rd with the TOW/HAUL mode on. We'll see what some of the other guys say.

Buck

3. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Tow/haul mode sounds like a good idea, but since I have not pushed any snow with my new truck, I will not know. Anyway, Up North, just as an FYI plowing in 2nd will have you start in 2nd gear, which might not be the best for real heavy and wet snow...

4. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

GUYS.......I push in the tow haul mode.........It was a PIA putting it in 1st for my looong pushes. My truck would always shift to 2nd just before I stacked my push. Seemed pretty hard on the tranny kicking back to 1st..

Funny tho....Does your new GM start off in 2nd gear when the shifter is in 2nd? It seems like my 01 and 04 were/are. I remember the old Fords were the same way................geo

5. Up North

Up North Senior Member

I had seen where someone posted that about starting out in 2nd, but he was driving a Ford and I didn't know if that applied to my Chev. Was going to try it and see, but since you drive a Chevy you should know. Guess I don't have to run my test, will just go with 3rd & tow/haul mode. Thanks for the info Frozen001.

Buck

6. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

I actually have not tried it on my new 04, but my 00 1500 did it so I am assuming it does. It is easy to find out, I will have to try tonight....

7. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

I'm 98% sure my 04 starts in 1st each time and will hold at whatever gear you put it in. The ratio is lower so it applies more power to the rear wheels. I noticed too that when in Tow haul that my truck sifts much harder.

That's my understanding. Otherwise if the same applied why wouldn't the truck start off in 3rd gear when in 3?

8. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

9. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

I checked my truck tonight...it does start off in 2nd. Wrong again... :cry:

10. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

Then I am glad its not just me !.........LOL !

It will start off in 1 or 2 ....but not 3rd D...........

I like to run in tow/haul mode from light to light at WOT when the time is right out....... funning around ! Tranny shift FIRM !
    Its FUN puffing BMWs, Irocs, 5-0s, or a rice burner or 2, etc.......... :D

11. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I take mine out of overdrive as well plus I have the Banks Trans. Command.

12. jmassi

jmassi Senior Member

I plow in tow/haul mode in my 04. Tranny in 3rd, and tow/haul mode on works good. The tow/haul mode extends the shift points in the tranny for more power and torque when under a load, as in towing a trailer or hauling stuff in the bed, thats why it shifts firmly when empty. If I remember correctly, the manual even tells you that in tow/haul mode, the tranny will shift firmly. But plowing in tow/haul works great. :drinkup:

13. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Third shifts normally, just stops at 3rd.....

14. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I plow in tow haul and in D for drive. It doesn't shift as much and the tranny doesn't seem to get as hot while traveling. Dealer recommends it too.

15. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

DRIVE or OVERDRIVE doesn't matter when plowing. You'll likely never get out of SECOND gear.

T/H sounds like a good thing for plowing. It will hold FIRST gear longer.

16. brian m

brian m Member

If I'm just doing driveways or small parking lots I leave it in first gear, unless your plowing streets you don't want to be shifting gears while pushing a heavy load, that's when you risk damaging your trans. atleast that's what I've been told by a tranny mechanic. Also to keep the tranny from getting hot your supposed to put your transfer case in low gear and push slowly but who really does that, I read somewhere on this site that that's assinine to do but that's what the mfg. says to do as well! Read your owners manual.

17. Raydon

Raydon Member

Tow Haul

I just put it in drive and forget about it. Mine never shifts out of first because I just don't plow fast enough to let it shift. I've got 3:73's and I also do mostly sub work so speed doesn't make me any more money. This is of course just my opinion, but I have not broken anything, or had any damage in five years of plowing. I will use tow/haul between sites when traveling if I'm heavy.

18. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Brian, your gonna wear out the detents in your column shifter!

Just pop it in drive. Try T/H if your plowing at a speed where it may tend to shift into 2nd gear.

19. brian m

brian m Member

TLS,
    Is that how that happens?
    I'll give it a try next time, I just hate to feel the tranny shift just as I'm coming to the end of a push with a heavy load infront of the plow!
    I actually read somewhere that you shouldn't use TH or be in overdrive while plowing, why I don't know but I did hear that years ago when the TH first came out.

20. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

T/H simply raises the mph of your shift points. It will definately prevent the shift-on-lift that your getting at the end of a long fast push. Though if the tranny shifts, its likely a light shift if your lifting.