1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

any of you guys have problems with your steering?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by itr.#1446, Nov 14, 2008.

1. itr.#1446

itr.#1446 Member

I have been having a problem where sitting still i cannot turn my steering wheels at all and if the plow is on forget about it. It is really becoming trouble some when trying to move around when parking and backing up my trailer. Brought it too dodge and they said my pump and steering box are fine and that its because of my tires that are 12.5 wide but this problem only started happening recently. So any of you guys have this problem also ?

2. torquet

torquet Junior Member

Do you have any ballast in the bed. put 800lbs back there and that will help. Mine done the same thing.

3. itr.#1446

itr.#1446 Member

No i don't yet but even with a 5k+ trailer hooked up i am still having the problem

4. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

i have that problem with both my trucks with the plows on. not so bad with em off.

5. itr.#1446

itr.#1446 Member

i didn't the problem with my 97 ram 2500 i sold last year the pump would whine alittle more when turning the wheel sitting still but in my diesel i cannot turn the wheel at all, i mean i am pulling on it as hard as i possibly can and it does nothing.

6. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Yep the 12.5 tire will cause all the issues. Take them off and we will tradew I'll pay the UPS.......More less the stupid tech guy didn't want to look at your truck for the fact he/she couldn't make any easy $$$ at it. Does it happen left and right?? How about the 4x4 does it work fine.

My thought is a universal on the axle which has seized up. Causing the steering to lock up. When you are rolling the universal will move to a position which it can move. This is a common issue in the newer trucks.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  7. itr.#1446

itr.#1446 Member

Haha if you have some skinny mudders ill trade ya but the stock bfg rugged trails suck in the snow. It does happen weather i try to cut the wheel either way. Would it help if i crank up the tire pressure to like 65 pds? I am at 50 now. I had the universals replaced last year under warranty but it have heard clicking again from the passenger side i have to look at it.

8. DAFFMOBILEWASH

Jack the front of the truck up off the ground. Try to turn the steering wheel back in forth. If it still wont move it is more than likely the universals. Try turning the tire and check for sounds. While the tire is turning try to turn the steering wheel.

Another sign of the universals tightening up is a wicked bump steer or a truck with a mind of its own. Good luck

DAFF

9. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

I have a similar issue with my Chevy 2500hd, if I am stopped the wheel is very hard to turn. Also, if I am pusing the brakes it becomes very hard to turn the wheel as well (when not moving or moving slowly.)

10. provfirescott

provfirescott Senior Member
    from Ma

I have a 2005 Ram 3500 CTD and have this same problem without a plow.Sitting still cant move steering wheel with ease.Seems like the pump isnt spinning(whileat idle) enough to get the fluid moving.

11. fun2fun

fun2fun Junior Member
    from ohio

I have the same problem on my 01 cummins. Dodge told me it was the u-joints, which doesn't make sense because they are brand new along with the ball joints. I believe that the power steering pump doesn't move enough fluid at a idle under load and they know it, but they don't want to admit it.

12. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

in my opinion, universal joints would have nothing to do with your steering. If your joints were that bad, they would be making one hell of a noise when you were driving.

13. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Mine is a little hard to turn when I first start it up and it is cold outside and the plow is on. Clean pavement makes it worse than a little snow. I find it is MUCH easier to turn while the truck is moving, even if it is just slightly.

14. jeremy85

jeremy85 Member
    from nh

My Dakota has the same issue. But i have a 5-speed so i push in the clutch and blip the throttle to increase the pump speed. Automatics suck.xysport

15. Wiseguyinc

Wiseguyinc Member
    from MN

I
    think there are bulletins to try a different fluid in them. An auto parts store would be able to look that up .

16. big flounder

big flounder Junior Member
    from ontario

steering gets tight

My steering gets tight when the power steering fluid gets really hot sometimes it seems to cut out and the wheel locks. but when i hit the throttle it brings the pressure up and loosens the wheel. I have new u joints and 235 85 16 tires, flushed the fluid twice ,no change ,new belt same problem

17. onebadplowtruck

onebadplowtruck Junior Member

Bad u-joints can cause steering difficulties, definalty, but you are simply fighting the same problem almost every dodge guy i know including myself faces. these trucks simple dont have a powerful enough steerin pump to turn the tires with wider the stock rubber and just about any plow on the front. i usually just let the truck roll a little and steer as i need to, but i know what you mean when it comes to trailering while the plow is on. a difficult steering wheel is no help when backing up thats for sure!![/B]

18. DAFFMOBILEWASH

BNC no noises when the universals are siezed up. Causing the joint to be difficuly to bend, thus causing tightness steering. I know this by experience and lots of thrown wrenches while dealing with the same issue on my CJ7. Any how this seems to be a engineering issue rather than mechanicial.

Any one try running a type F tranny fluid??? Heard that this fluid has a little more abrasiveness to it. Helps the older W series trucks when trass issues are lurking.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  19. DAFFMOBILEWASH

Ok so I did some reading and this is what I found. Only use the proper fluid as to Dodge specs in the power steering. (Synthetic is ok). The power steering and the power brakes run off the same pump. Now to rectify the issue!!!!!

Using a tukey baster remove as much fluid as possible from the resivoire. Replace the fluid and repeat a few days later. Also for added comfort by adding a in line transmition filter to the return line you will remove the impurities in the power steering fluid which can cause the poor pump issues.

A bad check valve in the steering box can cause the same issues.

20. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

I have the same problem (if it is a problem) on my 2001 Chevy 2500hd w/ 6.0 gas motor. I just had a power steering pump replaced under warranty and ever since I have been having a similar issue not being able to turn the wheel while not rolling.

I may try to just change the fluid tomorrow first.

Looks like I may be headed back to the dealer at some point.......