1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

any of you do this

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by RSK, Sep 3, 2006.

1. RSK

RSK Senior Member

hi guys
    do any of you send out flyer's for snow plowing or make flyer's to put in stores ect...
    if any of you have any of them let me know if they work

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Yes. Not this year for plowing, but I have in the past. I also put business cards in a card-holder on a table they had for that purpose. Got better response from that than from the ad in the local shopper. The flyer I made up for this year is for selling treated salt - I've put only the essential information on it. I made the the print size larger and emphasized some information by making it two sizes larger than the rest and a different color. Company name and address/phone # / email address / cell # is at the top and the same as the larger type in the body.

I always suggest having someone else check spelling, punctuation and grammar in ads (unless done on purpose). Mistakes stand out and are only a distraction from what you're trying to convey. Worse - people will simply stop reading something they're having a hard time understanding. Any flyer should be short and to the point. Remember, they're coming or going; this simply attracted their attention temporarily. They should be able to read the whole thing in about 15 seconds and retain the main points. Have something they can take with them the includes the phone number. Tear-off strips are better than nothing, but are easily lost.

If you're having flyers sent to their homes, you can make them longer as the people will have time to relax with less distraction while they read. For that, I'd suggest contacting one of those mailers that send out those card packets. They can help with designing a card and get it to your target market.

3. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Personally I thinkthat putting up flyers in gas stations and so on is tacky. That is just my opinion.

4. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

they keep comming and comming....

lets see, in the last 2 weeks my house has been fliered twice, once in person and once by mail, and yesterday's local adnet paper had over 12 readers and 18 display ads. I was really pissed because I didn't see mine, but a buddy called and said they had it listed in the landscaping section and not the snowplowing section:realmad: after re-reading it today I noticed they added a hyphen to my web address because it carried over to the next line:realmad: Guess I won't get any hits this week.

anyway's delivering fliers is always a good Idea. Expect a 1% return, or for every 1000 you put out get 10 calls. Like Mick said, keep it simple, easy to read, and better yet, start with some sort of catch. Mine this year is "free mowing with snowplowing contract" I cannot compete on price, (out of the 30 in the ad, most prices listed range from $169-$199 unlimited) so I figure this way I might even pick some more mowing :cry: for next year. (it works out to about an $85 savings for the customer)