1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Any news or rumors on Western 2011 lineup for plows

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by BlueWing, Apr 20, 2011.

1. BlueWing

BlueWing Member

Just wondering if anyone has heard of anything new for the 2011 Western Plow models, mounts or changes???
    I wish they would put some grease zerts for the pivot areas around the bolts. That is the most basic thing that I can think of that would be helpful.
    Any of you have some ideas for improvements or changes that would be nice and helpful????

2. BlueWing

BlueWing Member

I have been told by Western that there will be no changes for the Pro Poly Plow or mount for 2011.
    I have a feeling that the same will hold true for the rest of the Western Plow lineup.
    With the economy the way it is "on the edge of a cliff" I am sure they just want to get through the next year or two without having to invest any more then necessary.
    If that is true I do not blame them one bit.
    They have quality products that they can work on increasing QC with their employees for the product they produce. That is a area in which we all want them to strive to make the best product with the best workmanship possible.
    I still would like to hear from some of you on what you think they could do to improve their products.

3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I will never buy one again....23 years with Western and I'm done..

4. BlueWing

BlueWing Member

Congratulations on your retirement!!! After 23 years of hard work I am sure you will enjoy it!!
    That is a long time to stay with one company for plows. You must have really liked Western Products to stick with them for almost a quarter of a Century!!!
    Any changes you would have liked to have seen over the years?

5. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

haha, now thats funny...I'm only 42.....going with BOSS now....

6. BlueWing

BlueWing Member

Sorry, I mis-read your post!! Still that is a long time to be in the business and stick with one company for your plows.
    I hope your BOSS works out for you.
    It would be interesting to hear from you after you have had a chance to use your new plow to see what you like and dislike between the two brands.
    I am SURE you have some GOOD ideas for any plow design or changes for ease of maintenance???

7. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

No changes that we know of...I understand they will be going to mostly pre assembled on all plows though, like the wide out and hts come now, lift frame motor ect crated in one large box. This will be great on our end...having 2 boxes for a frame and lift frame, separate box for hydraulics and on and on will make things easier

8. Showmestaterida

Showmestaterida Senior Member

This will just add to the loose nuts and bolts already on the plows. Why would they add more to their plate. They should of added more in the QC department.

9. Phil1747

Phil1747 Member

1olddogtwo you still have the wide out?
    Thanks

10. plowingcanuck

plowingcanuck Junior Member

I might be intested in buying your Wide Out too. I am curious if you still have it?

11. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

have had westerns all my plowing years and will never change nothing holds up like a western my buddy owns a plow shop and i go there sometimes when its not snowing and i see all these other plows being repaired but western is the select few there mostly meyers haaaaa:laughing::laughing:

12. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I was just on the Western service course and I can tell you that there are no major changes this season. We just recieved our fall inventory and its all the same as last year. However... they did tell us that the 2012 rollout will have a few changes. I am most happy to hear that they are upgrading the pivot bar with a heavier version that includes grease zerks. No plans that I know of for grease at the blade pivot which I do myself. I have tried two ways, one was to just drill through the side and pipe tap for a zerk and the other way is to have the bolt drilled end to end and then a couple time crossways putting a zerk on the bolt head. That way costs more but seems to work best.

Another big change coming in 2012 is the multiplex on the straight blade. That means that an operator will be able to install one mount an one multiplex two wire vehicle harness and be able to run a Wide-out, MVP plus, HTS and the new straight blade all on the same vehicle with one controller! The controller will talk to the plow, when connected, and configure itself to work with whatever is there.

They plan to continue with the big box system and I like it that way. You do have to check things over to be sure the factory guys "tightened all the bolts" but that takes less time than building the whole thing yourself. I used to check my guys installs before leaving the shop too, no change there, we are all human and need to be quality controlled regardless. I find with the big boxes that there are less screw ups in packaging, I don't get two left hand pivot pins like I used to any more,

I hope the 1olddogtwo has better luck with the Boss but I won't be holding my breath. They are all metal machines made by people who are trying their best to build them as light and cheap as possible. They are made for profit not for longevity. I will take my Western over a Boss any day having worked with both.