1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Any new trends?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by big acres, Dec 8, 2007.

1. big acres

big acres Senior Member

I'm just curious if any of you guys are noticing any new trends in the industry recently. Have management companies changed specs, are you finding new add-on services, new ways to sell? Are the bigger companies changing how you do business? What major changes do you foresee in the next few years? Street-level sharing of information is the best way for us all to stay current, competitive, and to elevate the industry as a whole. Any (intelligent) thoughts out there?
  2. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

Good question I can't wait to read the responses.
  3. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

As far as equipment I have noticed quite a few companies going with dedicated trucks with v hoppers, etc... They have one massive vhopper and just park the truck all summer.
  4. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

i am fairly new to plowing but i am seeing the wings all over. even the new plows like wideout and xls basically designed around them. when did they come about?
  5. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

I have noticed that poly V box spreaders are becoming more popular along with the power plows such as Blizzard and now the Wideout and XLS coming out.

Blizzard started it all in '99 I believe and the others are less than year old. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

As far as foreseeing into the future, hopefully the higher gas prices now will eliminate some of the low ballers. (probably not)
  6. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

dedicated salt trucks here too. i'm swithing over to a 2 ton dedicated salt truck vs 1 ton, might become a trend. tool cats seem to be the new thing also. also here EVERYONE uses treated salt now.
  7. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Yeah, we added a boss v, a wide-out, and wings to the fleet of straight blades this year. i will get to find out what the guys who ran them thought of performance on Monday.

Also, a major property management company shifted form monthly to per-time this year on several dozen properties. I hope they get burned... $$$$$$$$$$$$
  8. bill8379

bill8379 Junior Member
    from central

I've seen more and more back drag plows on trucks doing residential drives. They don't do as good a job as I do with snowblower and shovel, and Ice scraper but they sure do it fast.