1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Any mount pics on '11 GMC!?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by PLM-1, Dec 24, 2010.

1. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

My mount just came and it looks like, according to the installation instructions, that the air dam has to be cut all the way from the towhook opening to the bottom. Of course, trying to avoid this, what does everyone else's look like? Something about hacking on a $62,000 truck really bothers me. :nono:

2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

There is no way around it....You have to cut the bumper cover, and trim. There is less cutting then that of the older body style trucks....

I can probably do a couple snap shots on Tuesday if no one else posts any prior to.then.

3. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

I didn't hardly trim anything but the lip on the bottom of the air dam on my '04. Is it necessary to cut that entire section out from the bottom of the tow hook down?

4. RepoMan207

from Maine

you know...you might be able to get away with leaving some of it...but you may need to remove that valance in order to get them in there.....it depends on how much room you have to play with in between it and the frame. I wouldn't leave that bottom black piece by itself either.....eventually it will loosen and strain the other plastic clips to a point where the whole thing will be flapping in the wind. It could happen sooner then you would think if you get alot of ice dams. Another thing to consider is this, IF you can leave even a few inches, your going to have to make a nice clean cut from left to right in order to remove the "box" to which the plates will stick out form, otherwise it kind of defeats the whole purpose if you ask me..

If it were me, I would just chop it out, that's saying something coming from a finicky guy like myself. The Plates will fill that area right in, and you won't notice it as a big void. As I said though, it's alot less material then the obs's.

5. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

Of course I had to buy the Denali HD and it has the chrome insert things down below. I was trying not to destroy all that stuff. Is there a good way to trim/cut this stuff without the "chrome" and paint pealing afterward? On a buddies truck, we used a dremel and taped what we were cutting before hand hoping to keep from burning the paint. . . it still peeled.

6. camaro 77

camaro 77 Senior Member
    from ma

a dremel will burn the paint use a air saw it will have a small jig saw blade tape the area off and cut

7. RepoMan207

from Maine

camaro is right on with the air saw, that's what I use now.

Take a plate and lay under the truck with a tape measure and the directions......nothing beats the actual visual of it. After you get the big picture, measure the push plate just behind the bucket section, at bare minimum, this is what you'll need to cut out. take your time prepping and cutting and you'll do fine. At worst case you'll have to go back and cut more if needed. Let us know how you make ou..pictures wouldn't hurt either lol.

8. LunchBox

LunchBox Senior Member

Something I noticed was that I had to pull back my license plate and use mechanics wire to tie it back a bit because when the plow went up and down it would grab the plate.

9. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

I'm going to start it Tuesday. Would the electric body saw be alright to use? I am also going to crank the torsion bars so the truck is level. Do the new trucks adjust just like the '10- previous trucks?

10. tractorbill

tractorbill Member

yes they do you just need a 21mm socket instead of 18mm

11. GVandy

GVandy Junior Member
    from NH

Here are some pics of a Fisher MM2 mount on a 2008 Silverado 2500. I'm not sure how much has changed from '08 to '11, but this might be close to how the mount might look.

On mine they left some of the plastic underneath the opening for the tow hooks as opposed to cutting all the way through.

PlowMount.jpg

12. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I have Denali HD also and I think I'm just going to buy a normal air dam instead of cutting the Denali one up. The 08 I have you have to cut quite a bit off and I don't have the heart to cut the Chrome one. My best advice is to take the air dam off and install your plow then cut your air damn bit by bit untill it fits back on the truck. It takes me as long cutting the air dam as installing the harness. I hate having it look like a hack job.

13. RepoMan207

from Maine

By the looks of the pictures, that's not nearly enough. The mounting holes are centered on the trim, it must push it back when you mount up....

14. tractorbill

tractorbill Member

Its a shame all the cutting that we have to do on these new and overpriced trucks.I think that if you order a snowplow prep package they should put a removable panel below the bumper and real SNOW tires on them!

15. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

I've decided to take my truck to a body guy to do the cutting and install. I don't have the heart to cut on it myself. I haven't even seen a pic of a mount on an '11 to see what it should look like. It's going in Tuesday ...

If you haven't installed your wiring harness yet ....get ready, the headlights are a 8itch.

16. RepoMan207

from Maine

Here are a few I took today......

IMG_20101230_140407.jpg

IMG_20101230_140416.jpg

IMG_20101230_140420.jpg

IMG_20101230_140407.jpg

IMG_20101230_140416.jpg

IMG_20101230_140420.jpg

17. geereed

geereed Senior Member

Did you get the mounts installed. Lets see some pics.

18. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

looking at GVandy photo there is not enough cut out on the top needs more trimming.

19. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

LunchBox a friend of mine was having trouble last winter with the a-frame pulling down his plate.How well does the mechanics wire hold it back?