1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Any lawn guys sit at home during winter and sub out driveways?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Pjslawncare1, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Pjslawncare1

Pjslawncare1 Member

Just wondering if there is anyone that mows in the summer and doesn't plow in the winter. I live in SE michigan and we probably have about 6 storms average per year (if that). I have 56 lawn accounts and I have about 20 people including a condo complex that want snow plowing. I was going to get a plow truck but then I ran the numbers and it seemed as though I would make only $3300 during the winter if I plowed myself (profit). To me, it's not worth the hassel of maintaining a plow truck, labor, repairs etc. Wondering if you guys have any views on this because I'm planning on just giving the plow accounts to friend I know with a plow truck and just take a certain percentage (still making a little money) without all the hassle.

Any replies would be greatly appreciated....Also, I'm 20 and going to school 3 days a week for nursing school...so time would be a consideration as well. I'm thinking about getting all the accounts I can and just give them away whiile collecting a certain percentage...let me know what you think!! Thanks!!!
  2. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

take a finders fee for all of them. not a percentage.
    If you take a percentage you are rooking your friend.
    finders fee is standard. You cant even sub it out you know nothing about plowing and probably arent qualified to sub snow. You also say you dont have time. If you sub you have to have time in case the sub doesnt or cant show up. You are still responsible. Take a finders fee then go your own way until its time to mow lawns again.
  3. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

I say, pass your friends name along to people who call about plowing. Don't sub them out or try to get a finders fee/percentage. In order to sub-contract the accounts, you need to come up with a price, get a contract signed and then hope your price is less than what your friend will charge. Then you have to do the billing, ensure that the job gets done and done well. Plus, you are the person they call 10 minutes after is starts snowing to find out when your coming...and guess what, you won't know unless you are constantly in contact with the sub throughout the storm.

As for getting a finders fee? For what. The act of telling your friend about a prospective client does not insure that he gets a job from it. You haven't done any real work. I don't mean to sound harsh, but not everything is worth money.
  4. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

yep same thing abou tthe finders fee, but i would try to find a friend thats in a completetly seperate business than you... alot of roofs in my area plow... im not a roofer, so im not worried about handin ghim accounts i dont want... hes not gonna steal the lawn business from me. Eitherway , make them sign a no compeate
  5. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Listen to them pj, they all speak the truth and know what they are talking about. All very valid points.

I don't know where you live in the area, but many sites required 18 pushes last year. You really don't know what you think you know.

I hope you pay more attention in your schooling than you do this industry. I say that because you just might be a care giver to me someday....and I'll expect you to know what you're doing.
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2008