1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

any joystick options for the MD75?

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by jigmoore, Nov 5, 2010.

1. jigmoore

jigmoore Junior Member

2. Plowfixguys

Plowfixguys Senior Member

We are working on one noe to adapt a Western joy stick to the SnowDogg, we just finished one for the AirFlo. I will let you know when and if it works and you havent found one yet.

3. jigmoore

jigmoore Junior Member

thanks. i called buyers directly and scott moorman (i think that's his name) said they don't have one...but believed a meyers slic stick would work. may only be a bit more jerky because of some of the digital cushioning provided by the touchpad...but said on a straight blade...probably wouldn't be noticable.

i'm getting my plow installed thursday, and they are going to figure something out for me there. i'll report back on that also.

4. jigmoore

jigmoore Junior Member

an update:

i purchased a universal joystick mfg website

from these guys distributors website

they didn't have the snowdogg adapter available...but they made their first prototype up for it and i just received and tested it.

It kinda worked. I say kinda because the connectors hook up fine and the left, right, up, down and float all operated in the correct direction. But there are two problems.

1) when you bump the plow up, it has a very hard and abrupt stop and each time it stops the plow kicks a little to the left. the digital controller that comes with the plow has a very smooth up and a gentle stop to the motion - like starting and stopping a servo motor.

2) moving the plow to the right has extremely abrupt stops. truck jarring. the digital controller that comes with the plow has a little of this...but nowhere near as sudden as the joystick.

As it sits, I probably would not recommend the universal joystick controller and snowdogg adapter for the MD75. I will be forwarding this information to Scott Moorman (engineer at SnowDogg) to see if he can offer any solutions to make this work a little better.

Brian Moore
    Heavy Penny Plowing

5. micklock

micklock Senior Member

I've always used a joy stick and wasn't sure about the controller at first either but I just mounted mine to my dashboard and after getting used to finding the buttons it works fine. And I pulled on the cord a little and zip tied it up under the dash so the controller wouldn't fall out of the bracket.

0302101359a.jpg

0127101011b.jpg

6. Michaelefd

Michaelefd Junior Member

I;m getting a MD68, same controller. Does it come with that bracket to mount to dash? If so how did you mount it?

7. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

If it makes you feel any better, Fisher's joystick does the same abrupt stops. The handhelds/fishstiks have a "soft stop" software built in. It sounds like the same thing for the snowdoggs- this is normal just like Scott told you.

8. micklock

micklock Senior Member

Yes the bracket is included, I took my dash panel off to bolt the bracket on. The bolts I used are for bolting cleats on a snowmobile track but any bolts with a low profile head should work.

9. jigmoore

jigmoore Junior Member

is it detrimental/abusive on the hydraulic valves? or does it affect the bypass valves that kick in when you catch a curb or something?

10. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

No affect on the reliefs, and it shouldn't really have an impact on the valves. Just a matter of comfort.

Back when joysticks were standard and a lot more common, the plows were a fair bit slower then they are now.

11. jigmoore

jigmoore Junior Member

thanks. was really hoping you'd chime in.

so it doesn't mean anything is wired wrong on the universal plow controls joystick adapter....right? as long as all the functions work...they've wired it correctly?

and one last one....any idea why the plow would jog a bit to the left each time you bump it up (yes, i'm positive i'm not leaning left on the joystick).

12. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

It's related to the same issue. With the digital controller, the pump turns on about 30ms after the valves energize. The effect isn't really noticeable unless you are "bumping" it up. In normal operation you probably wouldn't even notice it. As the "default" for the plow is left, if the pump turns on immediately, the plow jogs a little left.

Sounds like it's not wired wrong. There may be an analog way to smooth it out (RC circuit) - but I've never looked into it. It would be an interesting project. That would be a nice feature for these aftermarket joysticks to have... (of course that's why the digital controllers are nice - you can program all that in).

13. jigmoore

jigmoore Junior Member

thanks alot. i've forwarded your info on to universal plow controls.

14. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Hey Jig- you may want to check with Scott (smoorman) before you forward information he's telling you about his plow line (he's the engineer for them) to a universal controller company. It may not be a problem, but I'm just sayin.

15. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

No sweat - if it was secret I wouldn't post it here. To be honest, I don't remember how many milliseconds the delay is (we changed it a few times in the beginning) - but it's no secret. The hydraulics and wiring are all in the service manual.

16. BMAN1

BMAN1 Member

I have also mounted mine on the dash of my Suburban. I mounted it to the left upper part of the dash so that I can actuate the plow without taking my left hand off the wheel. This keeps my right hand free to shift. Very efficient set up.

17. Tired Dog

Tired Dog Junior Member
    from Chicago

snowdogg

i just got my md 75 two weeks ago new plowed 4 small lots pistions locked

18. jigmoore

jigmoore Junior Member

man, sorry to hear that....i'm lovin mine!

19. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

I wish I held back on buying. My dealer said they were working on one but now I'm told, not so. The hand control sucks.

20. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

Let me know also.........Thanks.