1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Any Issues With V-10??

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by mylawn03, Sep 20, 2004.

1. mylawn03

mylawn03 Senior Member

I may purchase a F-250 crew cab 4X4 V-10 with 53,000 miles on it......Has anyone had any problems with the V-10 motor that I should consider? Reliability? Cold Starting? How is it For Plowing? GAS MILEAGE??? :waving:

2. dbear

dbear Junior Member

F350 v10

mylawn03, had my '01 4x4 w/3.73's for 3 years now without a single engine issue. Starts easily in all types of weather and comes up to operating temp quickly, though never comes any closer than have way to overheating. Although it has the plow prep package, I don't plow with it, so I can't comment there, but the torque and power for towing have been more than I could ask for. It'll break the tires free easily on wet pavement so you'll probably want to add some weight in the can for plowin' snow. I get 12-13 mpg around town and as much as 16 mpg on the highway running empty.

3. BackAcreFarm

BackAcreFarm Junior Member

I have a '99 F250 4X4 with about 90,000 miles. I've had no problems, it starts easily. As mentioned above, it's got a lot of power and you need a light foot or it will spin all the wheels. Mileage is not good, I get about 10 to 11 MPG most of the time. It works on the farm and probably spends more time in 4WD than most, I don't take it on the road much.

4. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

I have had a 99, 01, 02, & 03 F250SD with V10s in them all. Never had any engine problems. The 1999 model a buddy of mine bought it from me and it has 157,000 mile on it & still runs strong. The rest I traded in and don't know where they are. They have all had snow plows on them, always started in the extreme temps. Worked them hard in the rice fields in the summer & very hard in the parking lots in the winter. Good motors & trucks over all!! :waving: Got to love those FORD SUPER DUTYS! I had a 2001 with a 5.4 in it, it never gave any motor problems but didn't give any power either. HA HA

5. Silverhowie

Silverhowie Junior Member

Love the engine, Lots of power, HATE the gas mileage! The best I've seen is 13.5 MPG

6. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

A concrete company that I do lots of work for has 9 or 10 F-450/F-550's all CC with 6 spds. I was talking to one of their foremen and he was saying that they get usually get 8.5-9.5 mpg. But these trucks are driven extremely hard, the guys don't normally shift until almost redline. I don't know of any other trucks that get worked and just plain beat as much as these do. Plus there are almost always pulling Bobcats. As far as I know they havn't had an engine problems, but they also trade the trucks in right around 80,000 miles. So I don't know the long term effects of their driving techniques.

7. mylawn03

mylawn03 Senior Member

Bought the truck....put 1000 miles on it since I've had it... So far I love everything about the truck, except of course the gas mileage...but I don't think the price of having such bad mileage would ever add up to buying a PSD superduty.