1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Any insurance claims this year?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by cutntrim, Mar 23, 2002.

1. cutntrim

cutntrim PlowSite.com - Veteran

By insurance claims, I mean claims against you. Last winter we had a slip-and-fall claim (our first) filed against us. It was a restaurant and the claim was dropped.

Just found out yesterday we've got another. Actually the claim is currently against the retail store, not us...yet. The adjuster for the store called and I just e-mailed him our logbook records, along with a copy of the "terms and conditions" that the store's management signed off on with our contract, and also the historical weather records for the day of the claim.

The date in question we did no plowing or salting, there or any where else. We had 2.4 millimeters of precip that day. In other words nothing.

We see what shakes down. I told the guy that I'd be prepared to appear in court if that's what it takes, 'cause there is no basis for a claim here. He said he hasn't yet contacted my insurance company, because it "might not even be necessary".

I'm debating on whether or not to give them a 'head's up' myself. Probably not, since I don't want to spook them.

Anyone else have any claims against them this year? Hope this isn't the start of things to come for us in Canada, but two claims in two years is wierd.

2. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

None here but

a couple of friends have property damage claims against them. 1- took out a 45' light post tower :eek: plus it fell on a bunch of shopping carts. And the other guy well he was going way to fast & slid into the back of a building putting a monster hole in it :eek: :eek: . I try to tell these young cowboys to take it easy but they had to learn by the school of hard knocks :rolleyes: .

3. Winterworks

Winterworks PlowSite.com Veteran

Nothing in yet which suprises me due to the nature of some of our sites (Candian Tire store, nursing homes etc.) Im waiting though. I will bury them in paperwork and logs if one comes in!
    Had more damage to company vehicles this year though for some reason. Unfortunately the worst offenders have been our general manager and myself!! Yesterday he just backed a salter into the grill of our 2002 GMC duramax which was all of 5 days old. He has one spinner assembly, a truck dent, some expensive plastic flooring, and the above mentioned grill against him. I have one bumper, some more of that flooring (torn by skid steer), one spinner assembly, two float trailer lights, and a wiring harness ripped out (when a dump box was lifted tearing some salter wiring) The other employees have minor scratches and one bumper among them. Its hard to get mad when the two bosses have been a wrecking crew all season! I just attribute our damage to not enough sleep because we work harder than the rest!!
    Pat

4. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

No claims - although I'm just a "little guy" and a sub to boot, I still feel no claims is good news. :)

Pat - should I add an item to the fabricating list: grill guard for 2002 Duramax? ;)

5. Winterworks

Winterworks PlowSite.com Veteran

Can you build one that goes completely around the truck? The first scratch or ding is always the worst. I know there will be more. BTW I still need those bumpers made, winter just doesnt want to stop here.
    Pat

6. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

I hit a car with a pro-wing. Wasn't even during a snowstorm. Well that'll teach me to get out and pull the pins next time and throw the wings in the bed. Other then that we had no damage or claims from plowing. I also hit a house with a tree but that was way before winter. They were both minor claims...had no effect on my premiums.
    Casey

7. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

No claims this year( knock on wood) no damage to the truck either! I did that last year, backed into a post, and caught a well casing buried in the snow with the right front fender:eek: Last claim was 2 winters ago, a slip and fall in a mini-mall I plow. Claim was dropped after I produced my log book. Winter slip and falls here in Canada aren't usually successful according to my insurance agent, although some out of court settlements have been made to avoid court. Still it's important to keep good records.

Bill

8. OriginalSnowman

OriginalSnowman Junior Member

Don't you have to have snow to have a claim? We were just a bit short on the snow part this season up here.

9. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

Don't be so affraid to claim you losses on your insurance. A good friend of mine a very prominant log home builder had his insurance canceled because he hadn't had a claim against him in 20 years. They said he's due for a catastrophic (sp) loss. I think they owe him a refund.
    Casey

10. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Casey

Owe him a refund?? yea right don't you wish. My wife works for a very large national insurance Co. & she said it happens all the time it's not fare but it's legal :mad: . This is why we don't like insurance Co. as the are in the drivers seat. If you have claims they raise your rates or cancel you. If you've never had a claim then your do, so they cancel you, you just can't win. All we do is PAY PAY PAY -- he!! I'm insurance poor but I'm insured. But it doesn't seem fare that they can drop you just because your do :rolleyes: .