1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Any Info

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by elitelandscape, Nov 27, 2003.

1. elitelandscape

elitelandscape Member

Hey guys i'm plowing with a 2001 1500 silverado as you all know these things drop super low in the front when the plow is up. I know i shouldn't be plowing with this thing but i got a super good deal on it.
    Anyways can i change the z71 shocks and replace them with 3/4 ton shocks to help with the weight? are they any longer? I think they will work but i'm not sure.

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

The shocks wont help with the weight, try a set of timbren load boosters first, if that doesnt help you can have the torsion bars turned up but you will need an alignment also because it changes the camber angle when you turn up the bars.
  3. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

Elite..........I used to plow with 1/2 ton GMs ...
    And them bad boyz got the job done !

Yes the Timbrens will help the low riding front
    end. Hey for $150 bucks (am) they help !
    So will ballast in the back also........

About cranking up the torsion bars.
    GO FOR IT!
    I do it to my 2500 every year! NEVER had a
    alignment or any tire wear or front suspension

I turn them up X times in the winter, and back
    down X times in summer. I have the bolt heads
    and crossmember punch marked for reference.

To adjust torsion bars:

Jack up the front end some to take weight off.

Turn bolt head clockwise to raise..........
    Counterclockwise to lower............

4. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

The Z-71 shocks are Bilstiens,i'd leave them alone,they are a decent shock.Get some Timbrens and turn up the torsion bars and you'll be all set.
  5. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

i have 2000 chevy 1500 timbrens helped alot only drops a half inch and their easy to install

PROPJCKEY Senior Member

not to stir up bad blood but, you should have ordered the truck a little earlier and done some research! I know, being a business owner, that desisions sometimes come spur of the moment but, it is what it is. That big of rig, get the blizzard! (even though I am a die hard Western fan) the expandable factor is sweet!

PROPJCKEY Senior Member

oops! replied to the wrong thread! sorry!
  8. sonjaab

ELITE............Forgot to ask what kind of plow are
    you running?
  9. imasnowpro

imasnowpro Member

I plow with a 2000 Silverado K1500 extended cab and never had a problem with the front sinking too far. I use a 7 1/2' Boss straight blade. I'm wondering if a salt spreader and a load of salt in the back is going to push it over the edge. What do you guys think?
  10. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

I had a tailgate spreader last year on my 99' Z-71 ext cab and loaded it to the hilt,I only overloaded it because of the short distance i was going but the truck never hesitated(not that that makes it a good idea!)Be smart about how heavy you load and how far your going and you will be fine.
  11. imasnowpro

imasnowpro Member

What about tire inflation? Would you slightly overinflate to compensate for the weight? Most of us run around underinflated.
  12. elitelandscape

elitelandscape Member

I'm using a 7.5 ft diamond. It's kinda funny because all these other plows that everyone talks about I have never seen around here. Everything is Fisher and Diamond. Maybe i should open up a dealership on the side and sell other plows.
    We had a two different people try to start selling Boss plows and it never caught on and they were gone the next year.
    I don't know about everywheres else but diamond and meyer are sold by the chev and gmc dealerships. Fisher is sold from a huge Parts for Trucks place and no one wants that because friday at 4:30 everyone leaves and they have no one for parts until monday morning. It's crazy i tried to get Fisher to let me open up a dealership i know i could sell alot more plows with alot better service but they won't even talk about switching for some reason.
    So basically we have a car dealerships and this retail outlet that both close on friday and open monday morning so if you have problems on the weekend your up sh-t creek. Fix it your self or to bad.

It actually pretty crazy.
  13. sonjaab

ELITE.....A Diamond Eh? They are one STOUT
    plow and heavy too! My bud runs one on a new
    1/2 ton Ford reg cab. Man that trucks nose about
    drags on the ground !

He beefs about bottoming out all the time. I told him
    about some guys using bags and Timbrens and such!

He won't hear it ! But hes a OLDER fella set in his ways!