1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Any info on a under tailgate spreader?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Bossman 92, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

I bought a 96" Monroe under tailgate salter and was hoping someone could tell me what size truck it will fit. Really hope it will fit my 1 ton dump. Its in great shape and has some of the origional paint on the auger. Also is there any way to convert it from hydro to electric?

Thanks Bossman
  2. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

It'll fit on a 350 to a 10 wheeler. As long as the box comes close to matching up.

As for the electric, no idea, maybe I should do that to the one I have laying around.
  3. Bossman 92

The spreader is several inches wider than the outside of the dump bed, but I think I can make it work. I am going to screw around and see if I can't convert this over to electric tho. The truck has electric over hydro dump which I am pretty sure there is a way to plumb that together with the spreader but not sure how.

BTW, how close does the spreader have to fit up with the box?

Thanks Bossman
  4. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

most under tailgate spreader are 96 inched.... some earlier one were also 88 inches. as far as converting i know some on this site have done v boxes that way.. as far as your electric over hydraulic running that spreader i dont think that would work due to the volume of hydro the spreader needs
  5. Bossman 92

I wasnt sure about the volume the spreader needs, but I had a Swensen v box years ago that had a gas motor but hydro drive.........I think. Anyway it only had like a 2 gallon tank and this dump has close to 5 gallons so I am not sure.
  6. Bossman 92

Thanks for the responses
  7. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

The electric motor running the hydraulic pump is not likely to withstand running continuously to run a spreader and even I'd it did you wouldn't have near enough hydraulic flow. I looked into converting one to electric a couple years ago. You would be better off selling it and buying an electric one or just add proper hydraulics to the truck. Good luck