1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Any ideas????

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by OneBadDodge06, Jan 14, 2007.

1. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I'm having some issues with my mvp. When I run out the wings to put it in the scoop position, the last 3 inches of the stroke run out hard. It sounds like the pump is out of fluid but when I pull the fill plug its to the top. The fluid also has a ton of air bubbles!! When I run the wings one at a time they extend just fine. What am I missing???

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Depending on the year of your plow,Western had a problem with the pickup tube falling off the pump inside the reservoir. That would explain the aerated fluid since it would be sucking air at the end of the wing travel since that would be the point that the reservoir would be the lowest on fluid. Try this as a simple test, put the plow on the ground and push the lift cylinder all the way down,now run both wing's out and see if they go all the way without "working hard". With the lift cyl all the way down the reservoir will be as full as it can be,(assuming the fluid level is correct) so the wing cylinder's shouldn't run out of fluid then.

3. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I will give that a shot. I didn't take the resevoir apart but the pickup tube makes sense. I bought the plow in Sept of 04.

What fix is there other than running to the dealer who is closed in repairing this?? Thank you!!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2007
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You can use a small wire tie or hose clamp to hold the pick up on temporarily. Western came out with an updated pick up for this this exact problem.