1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Any Ideas??

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by bunick, Dec 11, 2011.

1. bunick

bunick Junior Member

I have a Unimount 7.5 straight blade. Yesterday after only using it for about 5 minutes it stop going up, down or side to side. Checking it out the motor would run but nothing would work. I unhooked the chain to see if it would lift but nothing. I could fairly easily push the ram up and down with the controller in the neutral position or when the power was completely off. One of the valves must of been stuck allowing it to do that. The temp was in the single digits. I thought maybe ice, so i put some heat on it and tapped on the valve assembly. After about 10 minutes it worked fine. Not sure what was the cure. I had the plow all apart this summer repainting, new hoses, total flush and cleaned the screen. Just wondering if it happens again it someone has an idea of what valve it might be? Thanks
  2. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

is this a electric model or cable model
    To me sound like it got water in it
  3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

maybe air or low fluid in the system.
  4. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I would be willing to bet that you bumped the wiring somonewhere. When you signal the plow to move in any direction, not only does it send 12v+ to the plow solinoid to make the motor spin via the main 2 wire plug exiting your grill, it also sends 12v+ to the certian coils attached to the poppet valves to side the valves and allow fluid to flow thru the propper channels directing the plow what to do via the 9 pin plug.

My guess is that you moved the 9 pin just a hair and that made you 9 pin reconnect. Hit that with some dielectric grease and I will bet that the problem will not be a common thing.

If your plow locks out to where it will not do anything, then all of the valves are in the correct position. If a valve sticks, certian valves sticking will cause the plow to default in to one direction or another.
  5. bunick

bunick Junior Member

It is electric and I checked the level of the fluid and all was good. I disconnected the 9 pin connector and checked it a couple times. I just replaced the plow side this summer and lubed it dielectric grease . Maybe one of the times I reconnected it fixed my problem. I got to take the plow off to get my pickup worked on so I will be checking it again. Thanks for the ideas.
  6. Red02F250

Red02F250 Senior Member

I've had a similar problem before. I ended up burning up a $35 motor before figuring out what the problem was. I somehow had some moisture in the system which would only start causing problems below 20 degrees. If I got it warm (torch or heat gun), it worked fine as long as I kept the blade moving around. It doesn't take much water in the system to completely mess it up. That moisture can freeze up in angle rams, hoses, valves, or even the reservoir and cause you all sorts of problems. I'd recommend a complete system flush and refill.
  7. smokejmpr

smokejmpr Inactive

I think red02f250 is right it sounds like there is some water in the system. I would drian the pump and the cylinders. If the cylinder rods have any pitting it could let water in also. and you may not see a leak.
  8. bunick

bunick Junior Member

I won't think that moisture got in all ready since I just flushed in Sept. If I lose connection in the 9 pin connector the motor will just run and not know what action to do? Should I be able to move the ram up and down with the lever in neutral? I didn't think so. I hope I get cold weather(strange request) before the next snow and I will try it to see what happens.
  9. smokejmpr

smokejmpr Inactive

If the packing on the lift cylinder is worn then yes you would be able to move it.
  10. Red02F250

Red02F250 Senior Member

Just another thought... I don't presume to be an expert, just trying to come up with ideas to help you find a solution, so here's another idea. Assuming that everything (reservoir, pump, valves, hoses and rams) were flushed and any moisture that may have been there before is now gone, there could still be some internal damage that could have the same symptoms you're experiencing. Its possible that any previous moisture may have caused corrosion or some debris in the line somewhere and a valve(s) to stick. That could allow you to move the ram up and down.