1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Any ideas to extend blade?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Seamus, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Seamus

Seamus Member

I have a 95 Nissan 4x4 with a Sno-way MT 6'8". I also have a 87 Nissan 1 Ton dual rear axle that I want to put into the 95. At full angle the plow is 69" and the rear axle is 75" wide. I want to fab some sort of extension or wing that at full angle the plow can cut a path wide enough to clear said rear axle. I recall reading about people who have done this, so if you guys could help me out with some design ideas that would be great. Thanks! By the way, if I don't figure out how to do this my wife is going to make me get rid of the axle and I don't want to! PLEASE HELP!!!
  2. Brandon

Brandon Member

I was recently looking through some old posts and someone extended their Snoway. It wasn't wings, but rather a continuation of the moldboard on either side. You might try doing a search to come up with it.
  3. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

What you are trying to do is a lot of work for an at home type thing---We use to extend our 7.5'--and make them 8' for street plowing-- and with a professional steel fab shop it was a good 6 hours work. I personally would look into a set of wings adding to the existing blade (bolt -on -pin type). Try doing a search Like Brandon suggested-- someone may have posted pics of something similar of a project.
    I do have a question for you--does the front axle ratio match from the rear end your planning on putting in? If not you are going to have to switch the pumkins out of the old 4x4 one and put it in the duel wheel--thats if the axles match up!

Good Luck!
  4. Seamus

Seamus Member

Both the axles are the Nissan H233B. I am well aware of the different gears and have no problem with swapping them out. It's a pretty easy thing for the Nissan, I've done it before. I saw a thread with a pro-wing add-on and I would be more than happy with that, given the extra weight isn't too much. I did a search to get the specs, but could not find the weight, only the length which said it would add around 20". I think that may be a bit too much extra. I was thinkng an extra 8-10" might do it. I was hoping that someone had fabbed there own and I was going to see if I could do the same.Thanks again!
  5. Alaskanredneck

Alaskanredneck Junior Member
    from Alaska

you may want a little more than 8" to 10" because it will still stick your tires in the bank when you turn
  6. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

I would think it would be easier to start with a set of manufactured wings and cut them down if they prove to be too much (or take smaller bites).

Please post pics when you get the axle conversion done. I think its going to look really cool.
  7. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Seamus- remember the front suspension is going to need upgrades to handle the additional weight of the extended plow... as is the front axle and you'll want to make sure the Nissan's frame is up to the challenge. Don;t forget which end of the truck does the work with respect to plows.
  8. Seamus

Seamus Member

I am a little concerned about weight as well. The truck has Timbrens in the front already and after market torsion bars and poly-u bushings. The 4x4 had been originally set up for heavy off road use. I am interested in the pro-wings, as I put in my post earlier, but I could not find out the weight of them. I also think adding 20" would make the plow length 100" total. That's 25" more than the length of the axle. Don't you think that is a bit much?
  9. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I would just buy a bigger snoway blade. They are pretty light. A guy up in Vermont runs 8ft snoways on Chevy s-10.

I run 7'6" Fisher RDs on Toyotas that I have made dually 4x4
  10. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I think you can just replace the moldboard to a 7.5' one.....
  11. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Remember Seamus a full size truck needs an 8 foot blade to clear the snow from the wheels at full angle, that's 96". straight across.

the blade you have is 72" straight, angled to 69" means you loose 11" at angle so you need the width of the rear axle (75") plus 4 inches for comfort, 79" plus the 11" difference to the straight measurement makes 90". So making it around 8 feet should work.
    Suggestion- take some cardboard or something and tape it on the ends of the blade (at least the inner end to which you will angle the blade for the measurement), add enough to both ends to make the width 8 feet, angle it and measure the width of the blade engled, see if that will work for you. Don;t forget too that the rear axle width has to include the tires and rims which may be wider- it's funny how the simply things can get missed until after the project is done...
  12. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Check with the Snoway dealers in your area. The MT is being fazed out for the 26 series, if a dealer has a leftover 7'6" blade he might sell it at a discount.
  14. Seamus

Seamus Member

According to the Sno-way site the 7'6" blade angles at 78". The 75" axle length is including the tires/rims. Do you guys think that would be enough?
  15. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

based on my measurements above..... yes I think so.