1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Any Ideas on lowering the rear end

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 79Chevy, Jun 27, 2003.

1. 79Chevy

79Chevy Junior Member

Hello all,
    I have a 1979 Chevy Pickup Longbed.... I would like to
    lower the rear end to match the front end right now it
    sits about 3 in to high... (in my opinon)
    Anyone have any ideas or comments about how to go
    about this...
    Just so everyone knows... I am one of those do it yourselfers
    Not really into taking it to places and have someone else
    do what I can....
    Thanks for the help
  2. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

Is it a 2wd or 4wd? there might be heavy duty springs in rear end.Or also maybe extra springs. Or even a lift kit there could be several reasons for this. like are the front springs sagging? Alot of 2wd drucks that i see are a little higher in the back too .

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

Take a look and see if there are any blocks between the rear axle spring pad,and the leaf springs.You could remove them,or install shorter ones to reduce the height of the rear.

Like snowjoker said you can also remove a rear leaf if you think someone has added one to raise it up.

Or you could just raise the front up to make it level.Would give you better ground clearance.If it's 2WD,you can get HD coils,which would bring it up and inch or two,and there are a few companies which make 2WD lift spindles.If it's 4WD,just add another leaf to the front to bring it up to where you want.Depending on how high you go,you may need a steering block to help get the steering back in line.
  4. 79Chevy

79Chevy Junior Member

Thank you all for you input.....
    How hard would it be to remove a leaf spring?...
    Never seen it done.....
    by the way.... my truck is 2wd.....
    thanks for the help.....
  5. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

Leaf's arent too bad to remove.You hafto rais the body up some to get them off. There are 2 u-bolts on each side just take them off and you should be good to go you will probabbly need heat to get them off and should replace them anyway. And after you reassemble it make sure they are tight. You might want to put loctite on the threads also. I think i have this covered (right wyldman?)
  6. wyldman

wyldman Member

Your pretty close,just forgot the centering bolt that holds the leafs together.It's kinda hidden right in the center,and has a special round head that fits down into a little hole in the leaf spring pad on the rear axle.It will be siezed,so just torch,cut or grind them off,and drive the bolt out with a drift.

Go to a rear end shop and get two new center bolts,some new u-bolts (most can make them up cheap from bulk all-thread),and some steel clamps that hold the leaf ends together.

You can then torch or cut off the u-bolts,etc,and remove a leaf,and just bolt the new stuff back up.The center bolts go through from the bottom of the leafs.They have a round head,so you may need to use vise grips to get them tight,but try not to deform the round head to much or it won't fit properly into the spring pad.Before you crank the u-bolts back down make sure the bolt head is properly seated in the hole,or the rearend will walk all over when you start driving it.

If you have any problems,post them here,someone will be glad to assist.