1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Any Ideas on " How to Carry a Snowblower "

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Eyesell, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

I have a simple question, I'm trying to figure out how to carry my snowblower ( small Honda, Model 520 ) with me this winter, here's my situation.

I have a BOSS salt spreader on the back of my truck and my snowblower is pretty heavy, I'm sure I can climb into the bed of the truck and lower the snowblower out, but after plowing all day, trying to get the snowblower back in ( over the sides ) is going to be very difficult without help.

So are there any other ways too carry these when there is a plow on the front and salter mounted in the rear, additional I prefer not to take the salter off every time I have to use the blower since most snowblower jobs of mine are matter of minutes. Attached is a picture of my situation.

Yes,, I know, I want to have my cake and eat it to, is that asking to much :jester:

Side view of truck.jpg

2. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

I've often wondered that myself. I dont have or need a salter yet and dont know when or if I will but, yeah. My toro 2400 series weighs enough. Comperable to most in its class.

I dunno what to tell ya and Im usually not shortof opinion or ideas be they wrong or whatever.

lol

Hell at the end of the day I dont even want to lift mine onto the tailgate.

I guess thats where these swing away tailgate salters come in handy for one.

Obviously your's isn't one of them.

3. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

This is what I use...

I had the same problem so this is what I use. You can get one at Harbor Freight for like $20, just make sure you make the step non-slip, those little bumps do nothing when is all cold and slippery.

Oh yeah, just remember where the muffler is :eek: I found out the hard way one night lifting it up.

http://www.plowsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8669&d=1105632457

I built a little platform that raised the blower up closer to the top rail of the truck bed so when you are lifting the blower or lowering it you don't have to reach so far.

http://www.plowsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8668&d=1105632440

4. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

I have about the same setup as Eyesell i have a toro 2400 series, weighs about 75 pounds, i just lift it over the side when i have to.its a pain in the rear i know. Ive found it easier to get in the back of the truck and lift it in and out that way.

5. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

6. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I had the same problem with my Buyers spreader. I wanted to carry a 10 hp blower in the bed with me but the salt spreader was in the way. I bought a swing away mount for the Buyers salt spreader but even with that it was still a pita. So, last year I compromised and just started carrying a lighter snowblower that I could easily chuck over the rail of the truck. Might not be a option for you though. Salt spreaders make you lots of money but they can also be a pita sometimes.

7. LLM Ann Arbor

You might be able to fabricate a hand crank winch likes on a boat trailer to the bed of the truck with an arm straight up out of the stake pocket in the middle of the truck bed and maybe a small horizontal extension a foot and a half long with the cable going up and over the whole thing down to the blower somehow, and crank it from the bed to at least get it up there then manually swing it into the bed. Similar to that truck lift deal but made for about fifty bucks.

I like that wheel step but no way Id be lifting a 75 lb blower on that up and over the bed fifteen times a night.

Or however many times.

Like said also there are lighter weight blowers out there. But youll lose performance too.

8. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

Is there a way you can fabricate a small bar or arm on the side of the truck. As previously stated, maybe a small winch, or chain falls, to hoist it on the side with an arm. If you are capable, maybe try to build a truck crane. Can't be that hard to do, or that expensive, if you make it yourself. JMO which isnt worth much these days!!!!

9. ECS

ECS Senior Member

I would also think the fabricated hand winch would be idael for your situation. I have seen them used to put an entire elk into the bed of a truck, so I would think it would be a snap with a snowblower.

10. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

I like the idea of something going over the tire as Grn Mtn suggested, I'm also happy to see I'm not the only guy with this frustrating problem.

Anyhow thanks for all the suggestions.

11. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

I have a fabricator building me a way to carry a blower and a spreader. The spreader will be offset to the left leaving enough room on the right for a small hitch hauler for the blower. They took a pc of angle iron and then welded a receiver tube on it to accept the spreader and 2 tubes to the right to accept a 30" x 34" hitch hauler. It is heavy duty to carry both pieces. They also added a flat piece to bend 90 degrees to sit on the bumper to stabilize the whole thing. It should work great, I'll post some pics as soon as I get it home.

12. Note for those that have not yet purchased a spreader.

For those that do not yet have a spreader. Snow-Ex PivotPro 1075. Very nice spreader, and it swings out and allows you to use the tailgate. Just don't load your salt spreader until needed as it must be empty to swing. Myself, I unload the snow blower, plow, use snowblower, etc., then reload the snow blower, then add appropriate amount of salt and apply. I guess you just gotta have an idea how much salt you need. If anything, load on the low side, you can always add a bag. As long as you arrive at the job empty (or close to it) and leave in the same condition it works real nice..

13. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Easiest solution is to switch to a shovel........

2nd easiest is to hire the snowblowing out or if you're big enough, have a sidewalk crew.

You gotta really think about the amount of time you'll have loading / unloading with any kind of hoist - sub it out, make your 5 to 20%, and stay warm..............

14. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I just bought the 38lbs. Toro Powerlite blower because of this.....I have a Snowex 575 with the hitch mount. I was thinking about some way to hang the blower off the tailgate. I am envisioning something like a bicycle rack that mounts over the tailgate and has hooks with safetys........

15. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i had the same problem parked the big blower bought a toro 2450 which can easily unloaded for the truck problem solved. i did convert my western to a swing away
    last yr which makes loading and unloading salt alot easier.just be carefull loading the blower over the side zippers scratch the paint its better to put the blower on top of the spreader and then unload

john

16. LLM Ann Arbor

I have the same blower. That thing gets heavy pretty fast. I think it weighs 75 lbs.

17. Grn Mtn

I think LLM needs to get off the riding mower and start walking a bit more wesport :D just kidding.

18. Grn Mtn

Good Idea, someone else mentioned moving the placement of the hitch spreader over to one side to make the room for this idea. my spreader is pretty wide though so it can still hold a bunch yet not obstruct the view.

I don't like swing-aways because of all the holes you have to put in your truck, if they could figure out a way to mount them from underneath that would be great.

19. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

OK now I am thinking that brackets like those on my load handler that sit down over my tailgate and have a strap that wraps around the whole gate. Then some sort of hooks with guards like my Trimmer Trap backpack blower rack.....

hmmmmm.......................

20. ferdinand711

ferdinand711 Senior Member

NOW BLOWER: easy work , pain in the behind on getting it back in the truck.
    SNOW SHOVEL: hard work, just throw it back in the truck when you're done.
    it's damn if you do, damn if you don't.bottom line is "we have to deal with what we choose". oh! well I guess we're in a country where there's a lot of microwavables and drive through's.