1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Any Idea why plow plow will go up but not down?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TheKing, Dec 18, 2004.

1. TheKing

TheKing Junior Member

Hey Guys,
    I just hooked my plow up for the first time this season and after i got everything on my plow went up but wont go down, I tried pushing it in really hard and used some penetrating oil but i can't get the thing to go back down. When i stored it outside for the summer I did not push the pump down all the way I don't know if that has anything to do with it but i'm hoping it didn't seize.
    It's maybe 4 years old, western unit mount on a f250. could it be an elcetrical problem i just got the mount installed and the truck wired, it's the first time I had it on.
  2. chris k

chris k Senior Member

I have seen pistons that have been left up in the off season that have pitted so bad that they don't go down all the way. I am not familiar with the Westerns at all though.
  3. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

Are you sure the cab control is the "Float" position and the plow and vehicle harnesses are still connected? If yes, then this is what I did, when I had the same problem and it worked for me:

1. Raised the blade manually (with a floor jack), unhook the lift chain and lower the plow
    2. Using a cargo strap, rope, etc., wrap one end around the body of the lift ram and the other around headgear (use your best judgment as to where on the headgear). This will support the pump later.
    3. Manually extend the ram (max. upward travel)
    4. Remove the bolt connecting the lift arm to the lift cylinder
    5. Using a large wrench (you can use a medium sized "monkey wrench"), loose the packing nut (this is the nut the lift ram passes through)
    6. Once the packing nut is completely back-out of the tube, use 1 hand to support the pump and the other to gently pull the ram completely out the cylinder.
    7. Once the ram is out of the cylinder, allow the aforementioned strap to support the pump housing. NOTE: Make sure the strap if firmly secured in both locations, or else the pump will fall forward, which dump fluid everywhere and possibly damage the housing.
    8. Inspect the ram seals for grit, rips, dry-rot, etc.; the ram and the inner cylinder walls for pitting, gouges, etc. If the seals and ram are in good shape, you may need to just add a little lubricant to the seals to allow the ram to move within them easier. If any other seals are dry-rotted, brittle, etc., replace them. If the ram is pitted or damaged, you may have to replace it also.

After you've inspected, cleaned and lubed the seals, ram and inner cylinder walls, reassemble the seals and packing nut in their original order.
    1. Carefully insert the ram assembly into the lift cylinder, but only enough to seat the seals with the cylinder walls.
    2. Begin to thread the packing nut, but BE CAREFUL NOT CROSS THREAD THE NUT INTO THE LIFT CYLINDER!!!
    3. Once we've established that the packing nut is "true" within the cylinder wall, use the wrench to tighten it down. Once the nut gets to the point where it's relatively tight (use your best judgment), you'll need to tighten the nut in 1/4 turn increments to find the correct "tightness".
    4. Reconnect the lift ram to lift arm and remove the securing strap.
    5. Reconnect the lift chain and raise the blade via the pump control and check for any leaks, blow-by, etc. around the packing nut (both the threaded area and seal around the ram).
    6. Lower the plow, keep the control in the "Float" position and attempt to completely collapse the ram.
    7. If there are no leaks, but the ram still won't collapse, then loosen the packing nut 1/4 turn and repeat the "lift/lower/collapse" sequence. If there are leaks, tighten the packing nut 1/4 turn and repeat the "lift/lower/collapse" sequence. Keep doing this until there are no leaks and you can collapse the ram completely by hand.

Of course with every fix, not every one will work for every situation, but this is what worked for me. If this doesn't work, then you may have a different problem than what I had, which was dry (not dry-rotted) seals.
  4. Currinson

Currinson Junior Member

Check your wiring harness, same thing happened to me. a pink wire in the harness got cut, it is right in the pinch point.