1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Any Idea how much?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Treedoc32, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Treedoc32

Treedoc32 Member

I'm trying to get an idea of how much it would cost to plow and salt these properties. I'd like to get a rough estimate to compare it with how much we actually spend. We do all the snow removal in house. The first location is used 7 days a week and the remainder locations are used 5 days a week. They are located in Central Ohio, acreage totals about 15 acres, and we have a zero tolerance. What do you think?

WC.jpg

HS.jpg

AC.jpg

ES.jpg

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Are you trying to figure out if it cheaper to sub it out or keep it in house?

3. Treedoc32

Treedoc32 Member

I'm pretty sure we can provide all the services in house cheaper than having someone come in and do them. The quality of service won't be as good due to the fact that I'm on site 5 days of the week and can respond to problem areas quickly. I'm curious how much we are saving by doing it in house.

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I never give estimates by pictures.

I'd also be willing to bet that it would much cheaper to hire a reputable contractor.

5. Treedoc32

Treedoc32 Member

Ok. What I meant to say, I don't expect the quality of service from an outside contractor to be better than what we provide in house due to our being on site 5 days a week.

6. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

I can think of many sites, school districts for example, who provide snow removal in-house and have people on site all the time. Their quality of service is absolutely not up to par with a reputable contractor's level of service.

7. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

ONE MILLION DOLLARS! :drinkup:

one million dollars.jpg

one million dollars.jpg

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Sorry, I don't buy that either.

A reputable contractor's butt would be on the line. And as long as you're willing to pay for it, there will be one that can\could fulfill your requirements less expensive than in-house. Because a contractor HAS to make a profit, you don't. So they will find the most efficient equipment and materials to do the job.

9. grandview

And don't forget they are not union too.

10. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

I will throw a ball park est for an old friend! Ive seen most of the lots and I would have to say 8-10 ton of salt per app, which puts it at about $2500 for salt on the low end. Plow would be between $4800 and $9800 depending on snow. Im just saying $4800 for a 2 inch and $9800 for a 6 inch.

11. grandview

$225,000 plus salt

12. Treedoc32

Treedoc32 Member

Thanks for the numbers!

I still believe we can do a better job and less expensive in house than a contractor. We are a church, school, non union:), zero tolerance expectation, and not working for a profit. Our focus is clearing the lots and walks as quick as possible with the least amount of expense. We have a tight snow plan, dependable equipment (check out our equipment on my profile), and a good team of seven. When it snows we drop our normal daily responsibilities and focus on the clearing the lots and walks. After everything is cleared everyone goes back to their daily responsibilities. Three of us do all touch ups and salting. The best part of it all is we get to have fun doing it.:redbounce

Our budget for snow removal averages around $30,000/year. This includes salt, liquid deicer (our new tool), and equipment (amortized out over 4yrs).

I'm not saying the contractors aren't good, there are quite a few top notch contractors in our area. I know that they would not be able to cater to the many events we have at the church and school many of which our service staff are involved with and at a moment notice can be salting walks or plowing.

We're in the business of saving money not making it.:D

13. grandview

But if you were to add labor cost it would be higher then 30k . But you are figuring they work there already so your not counting labor,correct?

14. Treedoc32

Treedoc32 Member

Your right. I'm not including labor because we normally there anyways between the hours of 6am and 5pm. On average, we will start snow removal around 5am depending on snow event and have our priority 1 area done by 8am. We do have one guy that comes in specifically for snow removal but he also works at the church. The only extra labor would be overtime. Sometimes, some of the guys will take time off as comp time on their own. Since I oversee the whole operation, I tend to spend to much time there as my wife would tell you.:nod:

As I mentioned before, we have a snow plan. In that snow plan we have set up priorities for during the week (during school) and weekends (church). For example, during the week we clear all the lots and walks (at all locations) and only salt the areas where people are walking, parking and driving. On Sundays, we focus first on the main location clearing and salting all lots and and walks. Then at our leisure we clear the remaining locations so they will be ready for school the next day.

The main location is pretty much used 7 days a week from about 6am until 10 to 11pm. We do get a little break around Christmas break.:)

15. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Why bother with a question that pretty much no one in here can answer. If you want to find out just waste some ones time,...oops I meant get a few quotes and compare the numbers.

16. Treedoc32

Treedoc32 Member

I have ask a few contractors for quotes. I also told them upfront why I wanted the quote so as not to waste their time. I know time is money. Nothing worse than asking for a quote and then telling them no thanks we already do it in house. That is why I posted pictures and asked for a rough estimate.

17. grandview

How much do you plan on spending for salt?

18. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

I know I would not make the 30k budget! LOL!!!

19. Treedoc32

Treedoc32 Member

This year we spent $3709 for salt and $570 on liquid. We only use around 40 tons per year. I'm sure we will be getting more liquid later in the season. On average, we only have about 17 snow events a year to which we salt as needed.

20. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Are you prepared to pay for a quote?