1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

any help with this

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by RSK, Feb 10, 2007.

1. RSK

RSK Senior Member

hi guy
    i need some help with my spreader i have the down eastern spreader and did some
    mod's to it my ? is when i turn the control box on it runs for a min or two then the reset tripes and then i have to set there and look like a jack a$$ tell it will reset it self. there is no salt in the truck know and i got everything out of the spreader and the da^m thing keeps doing it. any one know why it is doing this to the box?
    pic of the boxes

Last edited: Feb 10, 2007
  2. DodgeRam1985

DodgeRam1985 Member
    from Ohio

Sounds like a short somewhere in the wiring, what all mods did you do to it, also are you sure you have enough amps to run everything?
  3. RSK

RSK Senior Member

i did not have this do this at the start of the winter i have enough amps hd alternator 140 amp and i have 2 batteries in the truck to. but i did not do no mods to the box but did them to the spreader. I will have to go over it wiring and see whats up with it.
  4. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

Are both getting power from the battery?Or did you link them together?

5. RSK

RSK Senior Member

they are both on there own power wires no link and they are getting power from the battery to.
  6. GTMS

GTMS Senior Member

Sounds like you may have a wire that has rubbed bare somewhere, Trace your wiring and be sure it has not rubbed bare against the frame somewhere. Then check your connectors to make sure they haven't corroded
  7. MStine315

MStine315 Senior Member

Robert, I sent you a p.m. before I saw this. Looks like everyone is one the same page. Let us know what you find, Marc
  8. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

Electical Rule of thumb--K I S S-- Keep It Simple Stupid. Say this to yourself anytime you have problems on equipment and you will usually save a lot of time, money, and aggravation. Start with ALL ground connections. Make sure they are clean, no paint or rust, use a anti oxidant on all connections, no wirenuts or crimp on splices, and tight if they are bolted. USually thet will fix most electical issues. It's also a big help to ground back to the battery instead of the truck frame. Then do the same for all your power wiring. 9 times out of 10 you have solved your problem doing this stuff. Probably not a shorted wire or the breaker should trip anytime instead of certain speed settings. Good Luck:D
  9. RSK

RSK Senior Member

hi guys
    thanks for the help. I got it all fixed up there was two wires that were rubbed off and
    were green from all the salt but everything is good now. Just in time for this storm i might get on Tuesday. snow and ice snow is good but i don't like the ice:cry: