1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Any help here please?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Keith_480231, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Keith_480231

Keith_480231 Senior Member

Hey guys looking for a little help here with my '91 f-250. The truck has a 5sp manual trans in it. Part #E9TA-7003-TA 5spd. Dana Splicer ZF. My question is I need to replace the Main reverse gear cluster in it and the 5th & reverse syncronizers. The problem I was having with the truck was it was VERY hard to get into reverse. Kept grinding and wouldn't stay in reverse. I have it at my mechanics right now and we are kinda stumped on where to locate parts for it. I live in South Eastern Michigan so if anyone know where I can locate parts for this truck it would be greatly appreciated. This truck has been a "beast" and need to get her back on the road working again. Thanks guys Keith.

2. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

Its not really a Dana Spicer ZF. Just ZF is the name and the German company that makes it.

Give Valley truck parts a call. I have gotten all kinds of different parts for trannies and t-cases from them and at good prices. If they don't have it try Rockwell Standard Gear as that is where i bought the main cluster shaft and input shaft for my M5ROD..........

www.valleytruckparts.com
    Valley Truck Parts covers the State of Michigan with 5 location. Contact any of our locations for all of your truck part needs.

Grand Rapids 1-800-783-8300

Traverse City 1-800-442-1068

Gaylord 1-800-878-9880

St. Joseph 1-800-452-8808

Detroit 1-800-466-3003

3. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

if it's the same tranny that's in a f150, i have a truck for sale. i'm sure it's lighter service?

4. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

nope the 1/2 ton/bronco/ranger got the M5ROD2 aka Mazda 5 speed. The mazda is identifiable by horizontal/vertical ribbing and the ZF got diagonal ribbing. THe mazda is known for leaking shift rail plugs and then looses the tranny fluid and dies, everyone tries to say the mazda is weak but with proper maintence it is a great 1/2 ton tranny that it was designed for.

The ZF is rated IIRC for around 400-500ft lbs of Tq. So it is definately the beter tranny. Plus for blown Mazda 5 speeds, the ZF is a direct swap, so no reason not to upgrade for those people

enough useless info for everyone:dizzy:

5. Keith_480231

Thanks for the info guys I will be calling Valley to see about availability tomorrow.

6. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape Senior Member

any one know where you can get parts for the Mazda 5 speed cheap I need a shifter fork

7. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

junkyard, but then you have to worry about a worn one...

Go to the dealer, eBay, or try Valley like I posted above

8. Keith_480231

Crystal Auto Parts in Dearborn is where I just got parts for my trans that I just got rebuilt. Talk to Isadore 1-800-336-3348. Cheapest I found for older trans parts.

9. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape Senior Member

i had to order from washington part $25- shipping $45 for second day air ouch