1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

any have a custom backrack on their rig?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by mikemac, Dec 3, 2005.

1. mikemac

mikemac Member
    from ma

i was wondering if anyone has a custom back rack. i'm going to build one so i can mount my rotator and some work lamps on it but i just was looking for some ideas, type of tubing, where to mount, etc.
    Mike

2. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

Why not just buy a new one designed for your truck?They are only like $225.They are powder coated and made for each truck so you have the best visibility out your back window.And with there mounting system you don't have to drill into your truck bed.Just my 2cents

3. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

I bought a "Maine Truck Rack" from Katahdin Welding up here in Maine. I think they sell them down in your neck of the woods and they are great. However, you said you wanted to make your own and I can certainly respect that so...http://www.mainetruckracks.com for some ideas!

4. daninline

daninline Senior Member

I made one last year cost me abour 20 bucks and a few hours playing around in the shop.

I used 1" square tubing and 1/2 round tubing in the middle section.

I'll try to post a pic of it after the snow.

5. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

i made one last year out of 1 X 3 square tubing almost looks like half of a roll bar ... but it attaches to my bed rail protectors which are made of angles iron ... but with the price of steel your better of just buying one ...

6. NEPSJay

NEPSJay Senior Member

do a search for "the big white plow" to see pics of mine

7. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i have a pic of mine in forsties fleet thread