1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Any further ideas before snow hits this week end?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Tomas090, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Tomas090

Tomas090 Member
    from Maine

Plow works great on angle but when lifting blade it takes about 3-5 seconds before piston starts lifting, seems to go up at normal speed

If you have blade off, it takes three people to get piston down?

We adjusted valve several time swith no change, can these things get air bound or something?

Plow was just installed after sitting for several years

2. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Did you CHANGE the oil?? How old of plow is it? Most blade that have been built in the last 10 years are self bleeding

3. Tomas090

Tomas090 Member
    from Maine

I did change oil, plow is probably 20 + years old and sat for past 10

4. Tomas090

Tomas090 Member
    from Maine

What Duke do you ride? I had a 78 Burnt Orange **** style 860 with Dunstalls, Black bikini fairing, loved it when you could get it to start :-(

I still have dents and bruises on my shin from trying to start damm thing

5. Tomas090

Tomas090 Member
    from Maine

This board censors Caf ay? Try again ****

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  6. Gix1k4

Gix1k4 Senior Member

I'm just guessing that from his Nick it's either a ST or a monster....just a guess from the 944 in his nick. I had a Gsx-r 1000 until last spring... My nick Gix1k4- Gix= Gsx-r, 1k= 1000 and k4= 2004...lol

As for the OPs lift ram issues, could it be the cylinder seal is dried up and too tight on the piston? Sounds to me like something is binding, that's why it takes 3-5 seconds to lift, it has to build enough pressure to overcome the binding.
    What about fluid level, are you sure it's full? Although that doesn't explain why it's so hard to push the cylinder back down.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  7. TREMEK

TREMEK Junior Member

Dose it kinda Pop when it dose start to lift. If so i think that 3 sec pause is from building enough pressure to get the lift cylinder started. if you try lifting the cylinder mid way down dose it still have the delay? try connecting the lift hose to a different "working" cylinder to see if you still have the delay.

I would Flush the lift cylinder. Push it down with the hose on. then remove the hose and flush about a liter into a catch can. Have someone help you. when reattaching the hose i lift the control just a bit so fluid slowly flows out. while it flowing i reattach the hose.

8. Tomas090

Tomas090 Member
    from Maine

That binding sounds liek an idea, that would account for its unwillingness to go down also

I will try both methods

As to the Dukes, anyone ever ride a 860? Ian Pattle, a guy who was the service manager for the shop I bought it for used to race in England, I ended up with Desmodromic heads cams etc. What a sweet machine IF you could keep in running

There were faster bikes, until we got into the turns, damm Ducati was just like on rails, you could drag center stand all the wat through, and I didn't take stand off as the only way to start foolish thing was on center stand with right leg as kick start went all the way down and around rt foot peg. You stalled in traffic, off and on stand, face it at 90o and kick!

9. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

you should be safe.
    Last report i saw most of maine isnt getting any snow.
    Down east MIGHT see 1-3"
    Probably melt anyway.

10. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

94' 900SS with a big bore kit aka 944 khein flatslides among other things. Not the fastest bike I own, but one of my favorites. 97' 916 mono postal last year of the hand builts. what is left of my 01' GSXR 750 superbike. I used to road race until I found out that concrete walls don't flex much! LOL Best way to bleed a system is with the cylinder all they way in, just crack the hose at the fitting and have someone hit the control to get it to start to lift, then tighten it back up as they are slowly lifting it. Also if you have a negitive from an old 35mm camera, slide it around the seal.