1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Any experience with HomeAdvisor??

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Clarkmac1985, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Clarkmac1985

Clarkmac1985 Junior Member

I am looking into ways to grow my snow mgt and lawn care businews and came across home advisor. They provide leads when people email in or call the for all home services. They want $288 per year plus a finders fee of between $4 and $35 depending on size of the account IF you decide to bid and win.
    I was just wondering if any of you have had any experience with them and if it was good, bad, or what?
    Thano you for any replies in advance.
  2. FredG

FredG PlowSite.com Addict

Homeadvisor can be a good thing if you use it right. If you just use one zip code or just a few towns around you it is okay. You will pay the fee to join and pay for every lead they send you when or lose job. They try to get you to pay that $288.00 every year. I just refuse to pay. They will not suspend your account. You can't use a large area you will get to many leads and won't get enough work for all the lead fee's you will be billed.
  3. Clarkmac1985

So you just don't pay them? Or did you negotiate a lower fee?
  4. FredG

FredG PlowSite.com Addict

You can try to negotiate your membership fee. I was referring to when you been a member for one year they will bill you again for the $288.00, This I refuse to pay. Use a prepaid CC do not give them a debit or personal CC.
  5. AllanGBM

AllanGBM Member

I would also look at "Thumbtack". I have used it a few times when looking for a service and I really liked it. I also spoke to the contractors that responded and they seemed to like the service. You pay a small fee each time you submit a proposal and I don't think there is an annual fee. Good luck!
  6. Clarkmac1985

I think my wife hooked me up on thumy tack the other day. I actually have a job I got off of there to go do sunday. Cut a lawn and remove some furnature and antiques from their garage. The stuff I take is mine to do whatever with.
  7. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I was with them, For me it was not local enough, the smallest they could narrow it down to was 1 zip code. I make $0.0 driving between houses so giving me a house 1 mile away is useless to me (I currently have 100 houses in a 3 mile di. circle) If you can find a customer willing to pay $250/hour for you to drive to them, then Home Adviser would work. (I haven't found a customer that would pay for my travel time)