1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Any difference in hydraulics fluids?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Capodosto, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Capodosto

Capodosto Member

I have a Meyer rig purchased new in 2006. I had a problem during a storm this past weekend and ended up having to change the fluid. The only fluid I had access to was Fisher brand. Of course, the Meyer owners manual and website says to use only Meyer M1 fluid. I called the dealer and of course he, too, says that I need to change the fluid back to Meyer brand right away or the world will end (he does not sell Fisher, and he could not tell me WHY I had to use only Meyer). I don't know if this is significant, but the Fisher fluid is bright blue and the Meyer is greenish.

Is there really any difference in the hydraulic fluids? Can I just leave the Fisher fluid in there for this winter and change it back to Meyer before next season? The plow seems to be working perfectly. I only plow my own 600 ft driveway, so the rig is not even used that much.

Thanks for any opinions,
  2. snowandgo

snowandgo Senior Member

I wouldn't worry about it. I used to have old Meyer pumps (E-47) and always ran universal plow oil, never M1. Fluid never gave me any trouble. In an emergency I used ATF, but would change it out before temps got near or below 0F.
  3. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

for years the meyer oil bottles had a sicker with their logo. peel the sticker off and the bottle said mopar fluid.

it all pretty much the same. not atf though. its much thicker.
  4. artic429

artic429 Senior Member

Ive even used hydraulic jack fluid before too in a bind and Ive even heard that you can use that all the time too being as its not a thick fluid,.? But i dont know if there is any truth to that or if it will damage your pump.
  5. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

we just started using a generic oil thats totally clear. has the same aircraft quality, replaces all. meyer western boss fisher etc. i will let you know. we went through 2 cases today.