1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Any danger of backblading

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by new2it, Aug 27, 2004.

1. new2it

new2it Member

Hi all. First post here. I am relatively new to plowing. The past 2 years have been plowing my own driveway with a old F250 and a tired plow. Didn't care too much about ramming banks or doing damage to the plow because that would just be an excuse to buy a nice truck. Well I just bought one. 2004 GMC 2500HD with 8' fisher. Driveway is gravel and have plenty of room to push the snow onto the lawn on either side. My question is when I back blade in front of the garage, is there any danger of hurting the plow? Thanks for the help. Great site.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

As long as you're not backing over a curb or something similar, I'd say "no". Even with a curb you might be ok with some plows with severe attack angles. As I think you're realizing, there is no tripping action possible while backblading, so you really need to have seen the area before there's snow on it. Even if there was rock like the one sticking up from my gravel driveway, your plow will just lift up over it, frame and all. I even angle my blade so I'm windrowing while backing. But you need to use common sense; if it's sticking up like a rod, you could do damage. It needs to be sloping so the blade can lift up over. You might want to run over the area with your plow before it snows and see what happens. Just take it slow and easy when you back up against an obstacle.

Where in Maine?

3. new2it

new2it Member

hi Mick,
    Thanks for the info. Just want to make sure that I wont do any harm to the new equipment. I am in Raymond (NE corner of Sebago Lake).
    Thanks

4. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

Not much danger in hurting the plow but watch behind you. I saw a guy back into the side of a garage last winter while traveling in reverse at a fairly good clip. Didn't do any damage to garage or truck but it could have been bad. :nono:

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

new2it, check your PMs.