1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Any convenient way of using tracks on your truck instead of tires?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by birddseedd, Jan 14, 2012.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

Any convenient way of using tracks on your truck instead of tires?

2. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Like this?

[​IMG]

3. birddseedd

yes. like that

4. birddseedd

heres the thing.

I want to make a back plow that is extendable from 8 ft to 16 ft. i would like to make it 2 ft tall rather than 12-18 inches.

now. obviously, this would be not less than more plow than most trucks can handle. my thought is to weigh down the back of the truck like they used to do in the old days before 4x4; and convert to dully.

after that finally have a reason to use 4low.

but will that be enough? wont compare to tracks. so if i use tracks there is more of a chance this would work. this would be the ultimate plow truck, without the word deer written on it.

but would be pretty hard to drive from site to site...

5. birddseedd

do you think this is necessary? people use 10is foot back blades with ease on a regular 4x4

6. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

For your back blade look at Ebling. They've already made it for you.
    http://www.eblingandson.com/

Tracks are available from Mattracks. You better have REALLY DEEP pockets from what I've heard.
    http://www.mattracks.com/

Just go buy a 3/4ton or larger truck and put an ebling on the back, some ballast, and your choice of blade on the front and use it. Your way over thinking this.

7. birddseedd

:( they dont seem to have a picture of the 16' model.

8. birddseedd

and the 16' is for tractors, not trucks. so it wouldn't really work without modifications.

9. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

"Truck Back Blades have moldboard width options of 90”, 96” and 102” along with fully expanded width options of 12-feet, 14-feet and 16-feet. All truck Back Blades come with a height of 21”"

Looks to me like they make them, pretty sure several members on here run them on their pickups.

10. birddseedd

oh. i think ur missing another issue.

cannot drive through town with a 16 f wide blade. so one needs to be expandable.

(think of the western wide out)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  11. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Reading doesn't come easy for you does it? :dizzy:

Copy and paste directly from their site.

"Truck Back Blades have moldboard width options of 90”, 96” and 102” along with fully expanded width options of 12-feet, 14-feet and 16-feet. All truck Back Blades come with a height of 21”

12. birddseedd

guess i didnt read hard enough, hey. iv been plowing since like. 1 am yesterday. im tired dag nabbit.

they still dont have much for pictures and what not.

13. birddseedd

i dono. maybe im jsut not seeing it. looked at some on youtube. they look to be more 12 f than 16 f.

looks like about 2 trucks widths, my truck is 6.61 foot wide. looks to me like theres about a half a truck width missingn.

maybe i need to see it in person i guess.

eh screw it. i want a 20 foot one then.... and a bigger truck.... and western wide out for the front. couple cameras so i can see around it. ya kno. i could build a custom mount for a big truck spreader. woudl have to make it so it woudl be under the back blade or over it aming down.

where woudl i put my shovel?, oh, and a fridge to keep my pop cool. you ever get dry while you plow.

been plowing for almost 2 days straight, i feel very dry...

14. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I look at one in person and main blade was about 8ft with option of different length of wings think each wing was 4ft add that up is 16ft

15. birddseedd

How come you didnt buy it?

16. Jacobsmovinsnow

Jacobsmovinsnow Senior Member

The ultimate truck has already been built. Its called a tractor. Can attach many implements to it.. If its real heavy , like 10 ton , it dont need 4 wheel drive. Save yourself the head ache, GET A TRACTOR

17. birddseedd

caint drive a tractor around town. the things only do like 10 mph.

if i can plow the same amount of snow with a truck with a wide out and a 16' back blade, that seems like a more profitable way to go.

18. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

Guess I got the tractor version put on my truck by mistake cuz it's 16'. :drinkup:

19. birddseedd

ya. i missed or miss read that part of it. still havent slep.

so how do you like it? good and bad about it? what is the limitations?

20. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

You can drive a tractor wherever. Most brands are pushing them up to the neighbor hood of 35mph now, even the older ones usually do 20+. JCB has their Fastrac out for a while now, I think it does 50 or better.