1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

any cell phone or email snow alerts for free to warn of oncoming storm???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by trqjnky, Nov 12, 2010.

1. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

beat to death i know, but besides meteorlogix, is there any programs that will emial or text you when there is a snowstorm coming? i want more warnings that just checking online/weatherchannel/my window and calling friends.:help:
  2. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

I have a weather app on my phone and it takes 15 seconds to get the update. It will notify you when there is a severe weather alert.
  3. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Pretty much every weather application on my android device warns me.

It gets actually quite annoying.

VIPHGM Senior Member

accuweather has a updater to your phone
  5. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

Your local news channels weather stations may have a storm warning alert service that you can sign up for.
  6. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Are you affraid of the storm sneaking up on you?!
  7. ACA L&L

ACA L&L Senior Member

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

No kidding. I use this device called a "TV" to stay abreast of the weather. I can get local/regional updates before work and after supper. If I am home during the day, I can alse watch "The Weather Channel". It's a station devoted to weather only. Pretty handy, actually.

Also, the "radio" in my truck often provides weather updates.
  9. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

These are all Great Points....These Young Hipsters with all these Fancy Gadgets these days....:dizzy:
  10. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

we get national weather service updates via our code red system now. It is free unless it exceeds 45 messages in a month
  11. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

And here all this time I figured the "radio" was just to plug in 1 of many iPods, I phones, and other type devices.
  12. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

Weather bug, accuweather, TWC all have apps for smartphones that have customizable warning signals
  13. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

i use accuweather, sends me a text any time there is a severe weather warning for my zip code. You can customize it to whatever settings you want.
  14. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

I use the Cows in the field next to me....If they are laying down...I better strap the plow on...:salute:
  15. Mdwstsnow512

Mdwstsnow512 Senior Member

cows and strap ons..my favorite
  16. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Too funny

That's exactly what my Father-in-law always said.
  17. Tracy89

Tracy89 Senior Member
    from Maine

Im voting for watch the weather before you go to bed....Get out of bed at 3 a.m. and look out your window and see whats going on....
  18. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Didn't really think this thread would turn out so well. :salute:
  19. cubplower

cubplower Senior Member

my local news channel sends out warnings
  20. Kodiakguy

Kodiakguy Senior Member

Even with all the "advances" in forecasting, I still get my but out of bed and actually go drive around and look at our sites. Lake effect, its a B*!(& Its missed me and buried one of my customers. So when there's a chance, there's no substitute for looking.