1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

any business advice..plzz

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by ola_bosun, Oct 9, 2004.

1. ola_bosun

ola_bosun Junior Member
    from boston

Hi i'm starting up a new business in the boston area and snow plowing happens to be one of the 3 services i'll be offering, the other 2 being towing service and moving. I need some advice on as to what trucks are the best and just general advice on the business. i read threads here daily ( if not hourly), i know most people say subing under a larger company is best but i just havent come across such an opportunity yet so i'm deciding to register my business get some liability insurance and right now i'm trying to find some commercial vehicle insurance, which has been my most daunting task so far, no insurance i called around here offered commercial vehicle insurance for my plow truck. a friend of mine owns 3 seven eleven chain and he wants me to plow the parking lots, this would be the only job i'll be taking this year and maybe about a few(less than 5) residential driveways, by the way i have one older chevy k-10 with a 7.5in plow which is my backup truck, another k-10 with a 8ft plow which should be coming in next week , i'm planning on getting a tailgate spreader for my suv, a snow blower and one of those electric shovels, pls. any advice, comments or any help works for me as i'm new to all this, i'm learning all this at a fast pace, so again any help would work for me

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Have you looked at the threads in the box "Similar Threads"? Scroll down from here.

3. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

ola Where are you located? We work in the Boston area also and might have some openings for subs depending on your availability. We plow in Cambridge, Somerville and Chelsea area. If your interested please let me know. Thanks JD.

4. ola_bosun

ola_bosun Junior Member
    from boston

thanks JD

Thanks JD.
    I'm from the southshore area, email me at oadamson@yahoo.com so we could talk, i have a plow business registered in my name already so i hope it does not matter, email me so we could talk.
    thanks

5. c_maint

c_maint Member

It sounds like you're on the right track. Just don't get over your head. Do you have people working for you , or are you running solo?

6. ola_bosun

ola_bosun Junior Member
    from boston

Yes, i have 1 guy working with me doing the plowing and i would have someone else drive the tow truck, i'm not even trying to do more than i can, thanks for the encouragement c_maint, i definitely appreciate that.