1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

any body know about alignments ?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by carl b, Feb 20, 2007.

1. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

alright, i read a few post, but can't find what i'm looking for..tomorrow i'm taking my 94 2500 in... the t-bars have to be turned and it pulls to the left. it pulls bad. $70 for the alignment..what should i be prepared to be bad or broken.. how much cash will i spend??? its a 5.7 motor with the snow prep..8600 gvw..also do i leave the ballast in and or the plow on???

2. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Pulling one side or the other should have nothing to do with the t bars. I doubt the shop will be willing to put the truck on the rack with a lot of extra weight on it(Plow, Ballast).

3. carl b

from Ohio

cool, i took the plow off, and my last few bags of salt out..the front end is sagging.. i have timbrens but they are taking all the load.. so i thought that i would kill two Bird's with one stone..any thing that always goes wrong???

4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

5. Generally speaking, unless there is something drastically worn in the front end, a pull to one side or the other is caused by a bad tire. The way to know this is to swap the front tires from side to side and if the pull goes away or changes to the other direction, you know it's the tire. I'd be checking my brake calipers as well. Common problem on that vintage truck.

6. carl b

from Ohio

thanks i looked for this thread,but could not find it :dizzy: that's all i needed to know..:D

7. carl b

from Ohio

sh** can new tires be bad ??that have at most 10,000 on them

8. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

If the torsion bars are cranked too much on one side and not the other it will cause the truck to pull. Chances are though you will need a new pitman arm and idler arm, if you have plowed very much with it or the torsion bars have been cranked up for awhile.

9. I've seen it happen. Just swap them side to side to rule it in or out.

10. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

I was going to get a lifetime alignment done today, but I apprently need an inner left tie rod end before they can do the job. Quoted me $240 for the part and labor...sound reasonable or highway robbery?

$120 for a lifetime alignment ( go more or less as often as I want...the guy said 2-4 times a year is no big deal) on a full size pickup that plows in the winter is damn good as far as I'm concerned.

11. carl b

from Ohio

well they said $500.00 i need both outer tie rods, left inner, and i went home..i'll think for awhile.. then find a shop that dose life time....

12. mcwlandscaping

thanks for the update....some of those things probably need replacing on mine as well, definitely gonna wait!!

13. carl b

from Ohio

i called napa the parts (good ones ) are $150... i'm just going to count the treads as i pull them apart, and put it back together myself...than go to a shop!!! i'll save $280.thats easy money..

14. mcwlandscaping

Thank you very much for that too!!! what parts specifically did you ask for....i'm not to familiar with working on the front end but if i know what parts are waht, i can probably do it with my dad.

15. carl b

from Ohio

dose anyone know if my truck has inner tie rods??? the book says no but the repair man says yes

16. carl b

from Ohio

my mechanic told me napa no more than $150. but when we looked at the book it dose'nt have them listed (inners )so when we take the truck down (this weekend )... i will defiantly tell you all the parts... i'm so f***ing pissed... the shop i went to charged me $30 to tell me bull sh*t i don't know it all but if the shop lied... i will not be nice any longer...(the public forum thing don't wont to say to much !!!!!!!!!)

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yep, it sure does! It'll have 2 inners, 2 outers, a pitman arm and an idler arm.

18. mcwlandscaping

really dumb question im sure but is that per side or total front end?

19. carl b

from Ohio

not a dumb ? the only dumb ? is the one you don't ask...two outers and two inners total one on each side..that i do know.. thank you B&B..heres the list my haynes gives me 1 stabilizer bar 2 lower control arm 3 front drive axle 4 outer tie rod end 5 shock absorber 6 upper control arm ( ball joint ) 7 stabilizer bar link ( they say the two wheel drive has 14 pieces and one of them is the inner tie rod ) but no inner on the 4 wheel drive ?? i've found the book has been wrong in the past... so i guess i need a better book..any suggestions?

20. mcwlandscaping

thank you!!! i have a feeling that was what it was, but, makes me feel better to be sure now!! Let me/us know how you make you working on yours and take some pics if you can to maybe help me out when i do mine....THANK YOU!!!!