1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Any body got an opinion? 96 F350

Discussion in 'Used Plowing and Truck Equipment Forum' started by ned5485, Jan 12, 2008.

1. ned5485

ned5485 Member

I am looking for a truck to, mostly to pull my landscape trailer. If I get one this old, I plan to upgrade in a year, maybe 2. I have around $8k in cash until I sell a vehicle or two. I test drove this 96 F350 today. It is Crewcab longbed 4x4 with 87K miles 351W, A/T, A/C on 35inch BFG All-Terrains. It has a few other extras, but the big one is a 105 gallon bed mounted fuel cell that has an electric fuel pump. As far as I could tell, the mechanics were sound. The rust was the only major concern/problem.

Of course I checked KBB and NADA, but unless the vehicle is perfect, it seems to me that the value is subject to opinions. I just thought I would ask if anyone had an opinion on a fair price? The rust is a little more noticeable or advanced when you see it in person.

Thanks for any help

96 f350.jpg

96 F250 3.jpg

FRfender.jpg

LFfender.jpg

2. Mudman78

Mudman78 Senior Member
    from NJ

Is it an overdrive trans or a three speed? What does Kelly and NADA say is the going price?

3. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

Gas hog...

4. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

Not a terrible truck but you can find 99 F-250's for $8000.00 with the 5.4 Liter motor. With the rust and seeing as it's an XL Package I would keep looking

5. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

I've got a 96 F-250 w/ the powerstroke. I wouldn't touch a gasser, but that's just me. 290k miles and still running strong, you won't get that w/ a gas, well atleast it's not likely.

6. neighborstree

neighborstree Junior Member
    from pa

i would stay away with that rust, and its a gasser, you should be able to find a diesel for the same price.

7. neighborstree

from pa

and i think 8000 is extreamly high for that truck, for instance. i just bought this 2002 gmc yukon 2500 chassi a few night ago at a auction for 7500 bucks. i seen a few trucks sell for your price range, 2002 chevy 2500 sold for 6500 bucks. heres a pic of the yukon

Picture 105.jpg

8. ned5485

ned5485 Member

That is a good looking truck!

I must have not worded my original post well. $8k is what I have to spend without selling a current vehicle. He is asking $6500, but I think I could get it for $6k.

But, I am not sure that I want it for $6,000. Since I am going to be trying to sell it in a year or 2, I was wondering what you guys might pay, if you were shopping in my price range.

Also, I am not sure that I even need anything bigger than a 1/2 ton. Maybe you guys can help with this too! The heaviest load I imagine towing right now would be my tractor. With the loader and mowing deck both mounted, it weighs just under 3,000lb. I dont know how much my dual axle 16' trailer weighs though. Can I safely tow that with a 1/2 ton? If so, is it close? Could I still have a load of mulch in the bed?

9. Tscape

Tscape Senior Member

Don't settle for a 1/2 ton. You would be surprised what you may find yourself towing/hauling. Remeber GVWR includes trailer and vehicle. I know you are looking at my F250, but I have a 95 white, crewcab, dually, 7.3 I am selling? Might be in your wheel house.

10. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 94 F250 reg cab 4x4 with the 5.8L and a C6 3 speed trans. Its not the best truck in the world but I do like it. I get between 8-11 mpg with it.

11. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

If it helps you out at all. I got my '96 Powerstroke about a year ago w/ 280k miles on it. Now don't go getting scared, it has a list over $4500 long of new parts on it, front springs/brakes/lines/rotors/calipers/idm module/fuel pump/glow plugs/front tank/batt/alt/vacuum pump/u-joints/rear axle seals/tires/alignment/tierod ends/ball joints/and so on. When I bought the truck I had to replace a coolant temp sensor, no big deal. The guy at the diesel shop laughed when I told him I was hesitant in buying such a high mileage truck. He said there are a few guys that bring their powerstrokes in w/ 750k miles, 830k miles, and a few cummins w/ over 1million. Proper maintenance is key. Don't let a higher mileage diesel scare you, just make sure it isn't some punk that beat it to death.
    For the record, I paid $6100 for my truck, but the guy was hard up and I flew out to NewYork and drove it back to Michigan. KBB was around $8k for mine. Extended cab 4x4.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

12. neighborstree

from pa

thanks alot ned, check out this website, it may help you find a auction close to home so you can find a good deal, www.auctionzip.com type in your zip, and do what ever mileage your willing to travel, and poof, every auction is rite infront of you.

now for that f350 with all that rust i would pay 2500 bucks. if it was diesel , maybe 3500, you have to put into consiteration that for a 96 f350 stake body dump you could probly find one for 7000 bucks or so. and a dump would serve alot more purpous then a rusty f350 lol