1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Any blizzard extend wing plows here?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ProSno, Nov 24, 2001.

1. ProSno

ProSno Senior Member

Hello guys, I'm new here and just want to say I think its a great site. Does anyone here own or know someone who owns a blizzard plow with the extendable wings? I just bought one and its getting put on next week and I was wondering how people like it. Thanks-Bill
  2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Do a search on Blizzards. I think you will find that some have had difficulty with them. I think a lot of the problems have been resolved but it may be something to talk to the dealer about.
  3. Jay ALC

Jay ALC Senior Member

Hello ProSno,
    First off, welcome to PlowSite. As CT said you can do a search to find a little info on Blizzards, but not many people on this forum own one. Many of the people here have heard about or seen them from subs involved with their co or friends. Not many actual members have wanted to "risk" the 4-5 thousand on a new design. Their is some negative feedback out their on the original ones but I and other have heard they have mostly been resolved. Now on a different note I bought the Blizzard 800 this year, the only reason I did not get the 810 was because I did not want to put the extra 200 pounds on my 3/4 ton. Many people around here and many friends did purchase the 810 and our dealer is standing behind them so we shall see how they all preform. I think the 800 will be a great plow. I posted pictures of my setup just yesterday:

Hope I helped, or you find some info that you are interested in.
  4. ProSno

ProSno Senior Member

Thanks alot guys I hope this plow works out for me. Its a hell of a gamble to spend 5,000.00 on a plow and have it turn out to be a piece of crap. hopefully it will do good or I'll have to trade it in for a fisher V-plow. Thanks again-Bill
  5. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

You spent 5K on a untried concept? You are either really brave or really trusting. The fisher v plow would have been at least a grand less.
  6. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

And a much better investment to get a v then any straight blade. Even extending.
  7. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

I don't know if it's totally untried and it's certianly past the concept stage.

It's been around for 7 years. (1994)

I believe it's been nationally marketed & distributed for 3 or 4 years now.

I have personally spoken with 14 Blizzard owners. Their response is almost universal:

Do you like your new (810) Blizzard? Emmm. Yeah, it's okay.

Will you buy another? Emmm. Prolly not.

And they don't. Their production on the 810 is down to 500 units for 2001 production run.
  8. BOSS Adam

BOSS Adam Senior Member

Welcome ProSno!! Hope you enjoy the site.

9. ProSno

ProSno Senior Member

I just talked to a very large plowing contractor who has been in business for 33 yrs. He has owned every type of plow. Currnetly he is running western, diamonds, Boss V-plows, blizzards. He said that he was very happy with the blizzards, also stated that he would get another over any other plow (for performance) But and I mean a very big BUT... he was very unhappy with the install and had some problems that had to be cleared up. I know its a gamble but I figured its worth a try. Also have another contractor out here who owns one and he said he loved it, but he does very little plowing and is very easy on the truck. Me on the other hand am into large commercial plowing and lots of it so I'll be testing it out and will give a report on it. Thanks again for all the input.:rolleyes:
  10. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

another person from CT. welcome to the site
  11. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Hey Guys, me again.

Rather than dig up my old post on this subject I thought I'd add my new info here today. I spoke with a Blizzard representative about their product and some of the rumors I'd heard. He admitted to having hydraulic problems on the first year they were out, but they have resolved them by having a different manufacturer build their valves. He also said whatever plows are at the dealers now are all they will have this season because their parts suppliers cannot keep up with demand.

I then called the dealer he referred me to (who also plows) and he said for every 2 plows he has sold , 1 buyer has either returned for another or referred a customer to him. This is in Syracuse, N.Y., part of our snow belt. I realize this is a biased opinion but he sounded sincere and said he cut his plow time by 50%. I'll be happy with 20%. Will keep you posted on further developements...