1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Any advide for non-commercial plowing?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by P Scivetti, Nov 20, 2001.

1. P Scivetti

P Scivetti Junior Member

Greetings, all.

I'm new to plowing - so I appologize in advance if this isn't quite the right place to post this.....

I spent some time searching for clues as to the 'best' plow to add to my 95 GMC K2500 (HD, with the diesel engine, ext cab, long bed). However, as everyone knows, 'best' depends a lot on the job at hand and other factors (like the threshold of pain for writing big checks)

Almost everyone posting here is plowing massive numbers of driveways, parking lots, etc. I have a much smaller objective....I want to cut down on the amount of time I spend pushing snow with the bucket loader on my (open air) tractor!

Here's what I'm plowing....I live in central Minnesota with about 1/4 mile of gravel driveway to plow. The driveway is skinny - down to just shy of 8' at the narrowest part. There's also a couple of parking areas up near the house & down by the shop.

I've got a Hinneker (sp?) and Blizzard dealers locally. I heard the Hinneker discussion loud & clear -- junk! I also read all the Blizzard messages -- seems folks are really concerned about the 810 plow because of all the moving parts.

The local dealer has the 8' straight Blizzard for around $2,900 installed. My wife almost had a cow when I told her the pricing, but, after reading all the 'buyer beware' posts on used equipment, I think I'd like to stay away from used if possible. Basically, I'm a pretty handy guy, but I'm not a welder and I want to plow snow, not fix my snowplow.

One other important consideration -- I expect to be taking the plow off & on on a regular basis since we don't get *that much* snow up here -- especially once the temps drop into the *really cold* range. The Blizzard plows seem to have a slick attach/detach setup....better than most, actually. (but that is my newbie opinion only -- I'd love to hear from people that have field experience)

Many thanks in advance.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

If all you're doing is your own driveway, any plow is going to do ok. I'd go ahead with the 8' even though it might be wider than your driveway at some point. You'll want to push as far off the drive as you can to begin with. Also, angled it will be about 7'. The main consideration for you is ease of taking it off and on. You want to be able to just pull a couple of pins to disconnect the plow frame. Most major brands have this setup unless you get into used. The consideration here will usually be the type of hose or cable connection. You'll probably want a "plug-in" type connection. I wouldn't dismiss any brand just "out of hand". Some plows are designed with just what you have in mind. A homeowner who is plowing a minimal amount of snow. Just resist doing the neighbors drive and saying "Of well, it's short and just one more". It's the time spent plowing and the abuse it's given that wears out plows. Some are designed to last longer than others.
  3. casey

casey Banned

4. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Or hire someone with snowblowers. They should have that area done within a week of the snowfall.

Forget the gimics. Get a plow brand that a local dealer will service. Yes you are only doing your driveway, but that can add up to a lot of plowing. You definately are going to want power angling and I bet you get some heavy snowfalls so you want a plow that wil hold up to the work.
  5. Mick

from Maine

Yes - I agree with CT18fireman. Power angling and lift was implied in my response. I was using the choices you had mentioned as a guide. I really can't recommend anything other than a Fisher Minute Mount because that's all I've ever used. But that would be about $4,000 for a new 8' and I don't want your wife blaming me for your toys:) .
  6. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

We've all been there....

There isn't one of us who is married who has not seen their wife have a cow at least once in their marriage, when we wanted to spend some money on things like plows, trucks, lightbars, etc.

Mine went ballistic the otherday when I told her I was spending $550.00 on a USED Whelen Edge Light bar....

She wanted to know why I needed a yellow light that cost that much.

So I showed her the price of the same unit brand spanking new, $1550.00

Suddenly it was a good deal.....

Remember, the art of selling something to someone is all in packaging it so that they think they are getting a great bargain.

You just need to find that hook that will make your wife think that $2-$3000 is well worth it to her, i.e. more time to spend with her doing things she likes to do
  7. casey

casey Banned

Have you heard good bad things about that unit? I was thinking of getting one as a backup to the 2 stages in heavy falls or perhaps using it on one of the trucks for a few of our larger drives.
  8. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Get a real snowplow to work with your blowers. Yes these are a bit cheaper but not worth it. A snowplow is built to handle it. If you still want to use the blowers then use the plow to pile the snow and then blow it. This would increase your speed and still allow you to blow snow.
  9. Mick

from Maine

Interesting concept, CT18fireman. Use the plow or backblade to scrape all the snow in a line, then blow it where you want it. I wonder if someone could sell that as a customized service?

Casey, are you admitting that a plow is faster than a snowblower?:eek:
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2001
  10. casey

casey Banned

There is a section on that link with testimonials from proffessional contractors. It seems some actually use that unit in conjunction with a plow. The benefits they list for doing small drives sound very convincing.
  11. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

All joking aside regarding blowers and so on, either of the two brands your dealers carry will work fine for you. I personally believe that the Hiniker straight plow is at least as good as Meyers units, and many here at PS use meyers.
    Which ever dealer gives you the warm and fuzzy feeeling as you fork over the 3K is the right plow for you.
  12. casey

casey Banned

Just noticed that remark.
    Actually I am allways trying to find ways to increase productivity. Plowing hasn't worked well in our situation. That unit, however, would seem to adress some of our needs. Are they blowing smoke in the contractors section of the link?
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2001
  13. LawnSmith

LawnSmith Member

check out Pathfinder.com for plows. i have one of the TE II models that is geared towars commercial use and i only paid like 2500......they have a non-comercial unit that is even less and both are 1 man off-and-on jobs. it has a hydrolic assist stand that it sits on while not in use and everyting comes off with the plow(lights, a frame, pump, etc.) it only leaves the framework on the bottom. all you do is power down the stand, pull 4 pins, pull the quick disconnect + and - and drive off. easy!
  14. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Paul: If there's a Blizzard dealer near you and you like their attach/detach system, I'd feel that would be a good choice for your application. Go with the 8-footer.

I agree with getting a plow brand that the local dealer(s) will service, especially since you mentioned that you're not really "into" welding & wrenching on your plow.

I'm also inclined to agree with "forget the gimmicks", for what you're doing a good straight blade with power angle should work fine.