1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Any advice on this one

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Musaexcavating, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Musaexcavating

Musaexcavating Junior Member

Guys this lot looks like a pita from satellite well it's not any better in person and I have no clue how to bid this one thinking 350 1-3 . 180 to shovel all walks , 85 for melt on the walks and 250 to salt this disaster. Oh there is a pretty fence around the whole property separating the public walk from the parking lot.

image.jpg

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  2. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

your 1-3 might be a bit high I'm thinking.

3. TKLAWN

TKLAWN PlowSite Veteran

If it were me I think I would say.
    $300 for plowing
    $150 for shoveling
    $300 for salting
    $80 for walks hard to say from pic??

If it looks a lot worse in person then go with it.

4. Musaexcavating

And this is in massachusetts so prices seem higher over here. The walk for the town are my responsibility it's about 1200 feet of walks total about 400' of the walk are 6' walks. And the whole bottom of the property on the screen shot has to be brought around back you can lose a little along the fence but any significant snow it will be a long push. Thanks for the input at least I know my prices are ballpark. First time plowing for myself maybe I'll just sit home and drink beer all winter instead :drinkup:

5. treetech

treetech Junior Member

After reading this I would say that i would agree with your pricing.... however I don't think I charge enough for salt. If it where my lot I would price plowing and blowing the same as you but would be more like $150 for salt

6. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

advise ? here goes . you say pita? no clue? call a few snow removal contractors , let them bid on it for you

7. Musaexcavating

I got the price today and salt here is at $110 ton bulk picked up sO I figured about 1 yard still working the numbers thinking it might be more like $250ish. Thanks for the input tree tech tymusic I. Thinking I'll make the most money hauling out after 1 good storm hell after any storm with this lot

8. treetech

treetech Junior Member

110$ picked up sound high, last year we where paying $95 per ton delivers for treated salt and $75 per ton for rock salt delivered (both for 45 ton loads) and yes if theres no room to stack snow you will make enough off hauling. Looks like you got it all figured out.

9. Musaexcavating

Did I ask for you to bid it I asked for advise you don't even need to throw numbers at me I already threw them out there I wanted to know if they sounded ballpark that's it. I have already gone through the lots with a couple guys and we went to there's we bounce numbers off each other we don't try to keep them a secret. I thought everyone on here is a snow removal contractor ? Well that's why I came on here only when I had numbers did I ask what everyone thought .I didn't ask for what someone would bid exactly. What's the point of the bidding forum if you can't ask a question About estimating just like you I don't do this year round I dig dirt I just got into doing snow this year I know how to bid dirt not snow . You have to start somewhere.

10. Musaexcavating

It was $100 last year went up this year i guess . Thanks for the comments

11. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Have you gotten pricing for Salt this year???.....I don't know about your area ...But Salt prices in this area have almost doubled.....payup

12. Musaexcavating

Ya defcon that is this years price called two days ago.

13. Defcon 5

Im not in your area....But it looks pretty good to me.......:salute:

14. Musaexcavating

I would check your area I just read an article today about how your area is low on salt or something around those lines well everywhere is low on salt but I guess you guys are worse off because of the logistics. We have a cargil salt pile 5 miles from my house so don't know if that would help prices here.

15. Defcon 5

Prices have gone way up here.....Which is funny because there is a Huge salt mine under Detroit...

Cargill Dock is almost full here and the salt mine has quite a Bit but yet they feel the need to gouge the crap out of people,,,,,,:gunsfiring:

16. Musaexcavating

The article also said something about salt mines collapsing . Hey pass the price on to the customer everyone in your area will be paying the same price.