1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Any advice!? Greatly appreciated! Western Plow

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Gmoser, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Gmoser

Gmoser Junior Member

Hey guys,

I just bought a 7.6 steel Western plow for my Chevy. Its all wired and on the truck, it seems to work just like it should, gos in all positions smoothly. It does drop right to the ground no matter where it is when I hit the down button, is this normal? Also it seemed that one time I touched the controller and it cut out and did NOT work for a second? But right away came back and has not happened since, it was very sleight and the problem happened and went away as fast as it came, wiring issue? Controller going bad? Should I have a new one? The plow was wired by the Western dealer here.

My other big question is, what should I have as back up in my truck for this plow? I will be using it commercially, and this plow and truck will be supporting my family this winter (im sure the rest of you guys feel this stress) I have heard extra springs? (what tool works best to change these springs!?) Fluid? What are yours guys thoughts on this, any advice will help greatly!! I would for sure like the have the common parts that go bad in my truck at all times if possible.

Thank you in advance for the help, it will be greatly appreciated!!

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

i would say solenoid, hoses, fluid, tools to change. I've been plowing for years, i have never seen or heard anyone breaking a spring in my co. cant say it hasnt happened, but imo just money you dont need to spend. spare pins and hitch pins.

3. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

If you have a Handheld controller, then that is not normal, you should have to hold the down button for a couple of seconds then it will go into float and drop all the way to the ground. If you have the joystick, then it should drop and defualft to Float anytime to touch the down position.

As for your other question, before buying any unnessassary controllers, make sure that you have all you connections tight togther at the plugs. If it is a problem that keeps happening, then we can help you get down to the exact problem.

4. firefighter1406

firefighter1406 Senior Member

As to carrying stuff, I would also think about your truck breaking down, never happens when it was convenient. I lost an alternator in my truck in the middle of a three foot smnow at 1 a.m. No parts store until 7:30 and that's if they got to work. So now in addition to all my plow repair box and carry an extra alternator in the tool box and the tools to change it. I carry, hammer, plyiers, punch, wrenches, Allen wrenches, funnel, jumper cables, oil for plow and truck, tranny fluid, pull strapx2, plus always have a set of carhartt bibs and coat, hat, gloves or something similar. Would be surprised how many people don't do that. Also a couple of flashlights.

5. JimACM

JimACM Junior Member

Western 67880 Emergency Parts
    http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdf/66465.03_053011.pdf

I bought this kit and then added some fuses ATO 7.5 &15 blade type and10 amp mini blade(need2) and a gallon of western oil and the open wrenches 3/4 11/16 9/16 1/2 to change a hose.Adjustable wrench pliers and 2 screwdrivers. It all fits in the western bag that comes with the emergency kit.A funnel will help too

6. JimACM

JimACM Junior Member

I just got this email from western . It sounds like even though a 7.5 and 15 are shown in the electrical drawing they are not used in my 3 port setup for a 2004 silverado with an 8 ft pro plow ser 2
    So we only need some spare 10 amp mini fuses for the plow setup

"Hi Jim,
    Thanks for the e-mail. The 7.5 and 15 amp fuse are not used in a 3-port module. They are included because the harness can be used in both 3 and 4 port module systems. One 10 amp is for protection of the control power in and the other 10 amp is to protect the module power in for 3-port. I hope that helps. Have a good day!"
    Take care,
    Western Snowplows

7. Gmoser

Gmoser Junior Member

Thank you for the responses so far! Firefighter - thanks for the advice I have a spare alternator ready to go along with the other tools you listed, I'm trying to make sure I can prevent the most I can.

8. Gmoser

Gmoser Junior Member

Philbilly - thank you for your response, I was hoping to get inquiry on this problem. I messed with it a little bit today and same problem (I do have the handheld controller and it is droping right to the ground as soon as I hit the down on it), what would you say I should do to look deeper into this problem? I appreciate any advice very much!

9. dieselss

Just out of wonder, if it drops as soon as you push the button, and goes into float mode. Why is this a problem? I just tried the one we have versus our joystick ones and imo the handheld one is slower and takes to long to go into the float position. Again just my .02

10. Philbilly2

couldn't agree with you more. In all honesty I have been plowing with joysticks so long that when I get in one of my trucks with a hanldheld, I end up more pissed than anything. I hate holding that button down to go to float.

11. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I wonder if you have one of the new fleet flex plows? They are programable to activate or deactivate two features. First you can set it to go directly into float mode as soon as you hit down and second you can turn "soft stop" on and off. At our shop we just suddenly started getting the new flet flex plows without notice. We still haven't sold any straight blade fleet flex but I know they are being shipped out to other branches. I believe the new fleet flex staight blades are multiplex so they have only two plugs.

12. Philbilly2

Get the F*uck out of here. You got to be kidding. About time. Well, I may be looking into this. Is the programming in the plow or the controler?

13. fordman22

fordman22 Senior Member
    from ohio

or your suspension.... if its a 3/4 ton or above you should be fine with it only being a 7.6 foot. and take the advice of firefighter. all very crucial things you should carry while plowing!

14. mishnick

Philbilly2... I don't know exactly how it works and I haven't had the opportunity to configure one yet for these options, I just read the book that came with one of the new plows that I built. I vaugly recall that the memory is kept in the handheld controller but there may be something held in an eprom in the plow too because I know there is a security code option too. It's designed to prevent a stolen flet flex plow from being activated unless the thieves have the controller too. If you plug a new controller into a plow that has been secured with a code it won't move unless you punch the correct sequence of buttons on the handheld. In order for this to work there would have to be some sort of memory in the plow. I have looked at the Westernis site for information but nothing comes up. I understand that when the old, regular inventory is used up all the plows will be fleet flex. That means that there will be no problem switching plows on the same truck. You will be able to put a straight blade, a V and a wide-out on the same truck without changing any wiring. That is the biggest bonus I see.

15. dieselss

That part would be nice, switching plows etc.... But does that mean you can't get the joystick controller anymore?

16. mishnick

As far as I know the joystick is available for the fleet flex but that is a good question. I will have to research that a bit.

17. mishnick

Acording to Quick Match the joystick is still available on the new generation units. But I don't understand how a person would program any options like the security code? I will have to ask tech support about that next time I call.

18. dieselss

Then mish, are they gunna only have 3 port ISO's and go back to 2 grill connectors only? :)

19. banonea

banonea PlowSite Fanatic

Here is another 2cents on the controler issue. I was having the same blank out issue with one of my 7.6 pro plow. at the bottom of the controler, right ware the coil wire goes into the handle, I had a wire break and if i moved the wire just right, it woirked. 3 things you can do to fix it, 1 spend $350.00 and buy a new controler, 2 play with the wire till you find the right spot, and duck tape it ( had to do that in the middle of a storm) or 3 pull the controler appart, split the plastic wire sheld and repair the broken wire. it sounds like a mess but it is not. I fixed mine in 10min with some solder shrink tube. cost me less than a dollor. As far as what to bring, remember the Boy Scout Moto" Be Prepaired" If you dont think you will need it, pack it. Hoses, fluid, solenoids, fuses and flash lights are the most important as far as my trucks. I have all western ultra mounts and have 2 of every hose, a spare solenoid, case of all fluids for plows and trucks as well as everything else I need to repair a plow/truck for any minor breakdown. I am lucky that all of my accounts are within 5 miles of my house/shop.

20. Philbilly2

Gmoser, sorry we jacked your thread... my bad. I got excited for a second there.