1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

any advice for changing a heater core?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Chiputz, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Chiputz

Chiputz Senior Member

I need to change the heater core in my 2000 Dodge Ram, any advice or words of wisdom?

2. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

ouch. use a cutoff wheel and hack a hole in the heater box, remove and reinstall core, epoxy box back together.

well, if you dont mind that kind of thing. id research it on the net before cutting. sometimes its doable and sometimes its not. when it is, it saves an assload of time over taking out the dash.

3. Plow More

Plow More Senior Member

First and foremost, make sure the engine is off and the key is in the OFF position then proceed to remove the core

4. oldbluehairhemi

oldbluehairhemi Senior Member

On the body style truck its not that bad. Yes the dash has to come out but it is a lot easier than you would think. I will say have an extra set of hands to lift to off the perch would be nice.

5. swiftwater

swiftwater Junior Member

If you pull your dash and your truck has A/C, make sure you replace the evaporator core while you're there. They're notorious for going bad and it's located right beside the heater core.

6. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Remind me to not have you work on any of my vehicles LOL :mechanic:

7. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

haha. yup. its hillbilly, but its an option. i wouldnt do it to anything nice, but different strokes ya know. for a pos plow only truck, in a heartbeat. my dodge, no way.

8. Chiputz

Chiputz Senior Member

Got it changed today, 4.5 hrs start to finish. It was actually pretty easy. On to the limited slip carrier, plow harnesses and wiper motor...lol

9. bleachcola

bleachcola Junior Member
    from se mi

pretty good, i hate changing heater cores

10. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

The hardest thing I can remeber was the two hidden 8mm bolts on the underside of the dash. One near the vin plate and the other near the same loaction on the opposite side. Take your time and never force the dash out.....

Glad everything went smooth. Enjoy the warmth !!!