1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Antique Sno-way only comes up 4 inches?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by dichdoc, Dec 29, 2005.

1. dichdoc

dichdoc Junior Member

Snoway (from late 70's early 80's) slowly comes up and stops at around 4 inches off the ground, if you lift on it while running switch it will raise all the way. I have replaced fluid (ATF) and hoses and had the motor serviced with no change. It goes Left and Right fine. What would you go after next Ram, A frame, or battery power (running 800cca) or pump? It should be stated that this thing is pretty scabbed together, was a six foot blade and is now and eight foot with heavy cutting edge etc. etc. Thanks TB

2. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Sounds like the pump needs replaced.

3. dichdoc

dichdoc Junior Member

what can go wrong in the pump? Do the "gears" just wear enough or what? can you use a pressure guage to test?

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Yes the gears wear, and you can not repair, only replace. The internal pump, not the whole unit.
    Try Snoway Tech, Have your plow serial number off the power pac so they know what pump unit you have.

If you are running ATF my guess would be it's the old Monarch unit. They are pretty tough, but can be a bear to work on if you are Hydraulically impaired ( the politically correct way of saying, don't know nothing about hydraulic units.) It could be the pump, it could also be a failing pressure relief, but I'd guess the pump. These are the same units used on a lot of electric over hydraulic systems, dump bodies, lift gates etc. so parts are readily available.

When you changed the fluid, did you try running some hydra flush through it. I don't think a lot of Meyer hydraulics but their hydra flush is the bomb. It cleans and lubricates valves, etc, I have had it "FIX" a couple problems I've seen with customers trucks. Before we do any hydraulics diagnostics we drain, refill with hydra flush and cycle the fluid through the system. Be sure to drain the angle rams as well, if not you will just recontaminate the fluids As one customer said "Wow, it fixed itself", not quite but it is deffinetly cool stuff. more effective and much cheaper then using snoway or Meyer fluid.

5. mmwb

mmwb Senior Member
    from wyoming

Your pressure may be too low. Before replacing the pump, check the pressure. If low, adjust it up if that particular pump has an adjuster screw. I don't know anything about that unit, but some have ball valves in which the spring looses strength over time. An adjustment can increase the tension on the ball to increase pressure in the system before it releases.

6. dichdoc

dichdoc Junior Member

The only markings that remain on the pump unit are tags on the valves that read "Mechanical Tool & Engineering CO." Rockford IL. I tried two batteries and there was no change. Where do I hook up a guage and what type of guage should I use to pressure test it?

7. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

You have a 8' blade on what should be a 6' blade. I would guess it is to heavy. Reason is because you said it will rise if you lift up on it. It is old and over used. Replace the guts if you want but my guess is you will have same problems again. By what the tag says it has been rebuilt already so you really don't know how many times it has been rebuilt.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2006
  8. dichdoc

dichdoc Junior Member

Problem fixed and defintion of scabbed together

I have given new life to scrap steel! I built all new A frame and plow attachment. Figure I dropped close to eight pounds from the old frame The plow now raises all of the way! I'm also going to go to a thinner cutting edge which should shed another fifteen pounds, I'll try and post some pics. Thanks for your input.

old A frame.jpg

9. dichdoc

dichdoc Junior Member

The new A frame...

new A frame.jpg

10. dichdoc

dichdoc Junior Member

The whole set up...

new plow set up.jpg