1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

antifreeze smell?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by BPK63, Feb 6, 2007.

1. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

92 Chevy pickup, WT 4.3. There seems to be no leaks anywhere, antifreeze levels are right up there for several months now. When I turn the heater temp up there is a strong smell of antifreeze. Anything I should look for? I can't see any leaks anywhere. Just seems strange to me to have such a strong smell.
  2. fatboy

fatboy Senior Member

Your heater core is starting to leak, time to replace it !:cry:
  3. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

my 94 had a small leak in the fire wall...it only used a small bit of fluid.. .. it dripped on the heater core...and it stunk!!!!!!! i added a little bit every oil change thou...replaced the lines 2 years ago, and fixed... its a 5.7:) but it should have the same heater..
  4. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Most likely the heater core has a small leak. Replace the lines&the core. It is kind of a PITA but it isnt too expensive. Make sure that you clean up any anti-freeze laying around the core, or it will stink for a while