1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anticipating breakdowns

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by rngr, Dec 6, 2009.

1. rngr

rngr Junior Member
    from Markham

Hey everyone,This is my first year plowing and wanted some advice in regards to preparing for possible breakdowns.
    I have spoken with quite a few people and I am getting a general consensus that plowing snow comes with possibly having to make repairs on the truck/blade throughout the season.
    I wanted to know if some of you experienced guys might be able to gimme some advice on what to expect while I'm out there pushing snow around. I recently purchased a 1996 gmc sierra with a 8' western plow.
    Are their any typical things that might happen to the plow/truck that I can plan ahead for. for example, Should I carry around with me any spare parts just in case? etc. etc. Thanks in advance for any responses.
  2. infineon954

infineon954 Senior Member

what model western? Have extra hoses, fluid, a solenoid, and another backup controller...u know...the basics.
  3. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

How about tools to work on the above things along with maybe a spare angle cylinder and wrenches that fit that. Wouldn't hurt to have a chain to have someone pull you out or to pull someone else out.

If you can't put them in the truck, put them in a weather proof box and spray them with WD-40.
  4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Maintenance is cheep! Just brake something and miss a storm, see how much it cost you in loss of revenue and lost customers that go to a dependable plower (like me!!!) I have plowed 70 driveways for 22 years (now 96 with 2 Jeeps) and have had only a few brake downs. A wheel bearing from Auto Zone that was 2 months old, the plow lifting "A" frame, that used to ware out fairly regularly (Fisher) so I carried a spare. Hydraulic Hose, Pump motor solenoid, Pump, electric motor. In most cases I had enough warning to get a spare Before it completely died. Like for ½ of a storm having to get out and hit the motor with a hammer every couple of houses. In all cases I was repaired and on the road without missing a dead line.

I just replaced my front half shafts. On one of my pre storm checks I found some play between the U-Joint and the ears of the shaft. I didn’t wait for it to brake before fixing.

If I brake something I buy 2 (replacement and spare)

I go over the Jeep with a fine tooth comb 2 – 3 days before a storm. (so I have time to fix any thing I find. What good is it to find a bad U-joint the night of the storm?)

Motor oil 10K with mobile1
    Dif Oil, I don’t know I usually end up going in for a seal every couple of years so 15-20K Mobile 1
    Transfer case and tranny 50K Synthetic Oil
    water pump 50K
    belts & hoses 50K
    clutch 75K
    grease chaises every 2 storms or more if it was a big storm
    grease drive shaft every 2 storms (to grease the cardigan joints I have to remove the driveshaft so I do them twice a season)

But just in case and I have an agreement with 2 other plowers that they will help me out AFTER there customers are taken care of.

And don’t beat on it.
  5. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

In my trucks I keep all the required DOT stuff fire ex., flares, triangles, first aid, blah blah blah.

I have older trucks so I have tool boxes in back with another tool box inside loaded with enough tools to change an engine. In there I also keep a bottle jack, a high lift jack, an axe, a maul, jumper cables, 20ft of chains, tow strap, a winch, and a spare 180amp alt and a battery... Its a tight squeeze.
  6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Search button is your friend.
    There are 100's of posts on what to carry
    usually you won't have what breaks anyway.....lol
  7. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

check your plow hoses daily, and keep spair hoses and oil in your truck. i'd keep a spair tire. inspect your truck every couple of trips. i have my guys check everything from u-joints to rear end fluid levels